Infinity Prius150's for $40.00

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by xAbre1200, Sep 17, 2006.

1. xAbre1200

xAbre1200 Stunt Coordinator

Im thinking on getting 5 of these
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infin...!1158536941549

Using them as 2 surround, 1 center, and 2 for front left and right. What do you guys think? I will also have to look for a subwoofer to go along with them. I am currently using a 10yr old SONY AVR though i'll upgrade that soon.

2. xAbre1200

Please help

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

What is your budget? Have you listened to these speakers?

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Best Buy has Insignia brand speakers that are 2 for $55 and have received good reviews. I would check them out before you buy the Infinity.

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    I use the Primus 150's for my main surrounds (I got them as a promotion with my Denon AVR from crutchfield). I have no complaints; to my ears they blend in well with the rest of my equipment. As with all speakers, Listen to the Infinity's and the Insignia's yourself and judge what sounds better to your taste and listening habits....

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I auditioned the Insignias in my home, I thought they were great for the money. I would get 4 of those and with the money saved you could get a better center channel. Note the Primus150 wasn't designed to be used as a center channel. The Insignias are not magnetically shielded and will caused magnetic interference and damage to a CRT based television.

Do you have a sub? If not what are you considering there?

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Derek, where is your display and front speakers in your pics?

Sorry wasn't paying attension, found them.

8. xAbre1200

I was told using the Primus 150 as a center channel would be better using a actual center channel speaker.......

9. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

That doesn't really make any sense, did the salesman tell you that? There is a center channel in the Primus series. If you like Infinity maybe look at the Beta series for a center.

10. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott

For 5.1 music, the usual recommendation is 5 identical speakers. For movies, the usual recommendation is a dedicated center channel that has been tweaked for accurate dialog reproduction. But I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

I bought my parents a set of the Primus 150s last Christmas, to replace the (awful) built-in speakers in their RCA television. The built-in speakers were so bad that they occasionally had to turn on subtitles to understand dialog on shows like Star Trek: TNG -- the TV would amplify the background engine noise so much that audio would become unintelligible. This was with the 'stereo expansion' and other gimmicry turned off; it was even worse with those turned on. The same thing happened occasionally with other shows, too. The Primus 150s with a Sonic Impact T-Amp were a massive improvement -- but given what they were upgrading from, that's probably not too much of a surprise.

I paid the full $100 (or whatever they cost at that time) for the speakers, and thought they were an excellent choice for the price. At $40, they're a steal.

11. xAbre1200

i'll mostly watch movies so im not sure if i should go and pick up a dedicated center speaker........

12. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Boy, I'm a sucker for a good deal on a pair of speakers! Like I don't have enough already. I am well on my way to catching up to Seth [​IMG]

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Anyone order these yet? Is it $40/ea or $40/pr?

14. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

JG

It is $40 PAIR after $20 rebate. Total, with shipping + tax ~$68 - $20 rebate = $48.

15. John Garcia

John
    That's a heck of a deal then...

16. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I think the Insignias are better. They sounded really sweet to me. I was shocked. I have no real use for them but Im thinking about getting a pair just for giggles. Can't beat the price. On top of how nice they sounded to me, I thought they looked great with the grills off too.

17. xAbre1200

Link for the insignias please?

18. Theogenes

Theogenes Agent

This is actually a really good question. Which of the two, Insignia or Infinity, is better? I was originally set on the Primus 250s, with a Infinity center channel and skipping the subwoofer (I have a fairly small room). The significant other axed that pretty quick, as she thinks it's too much for the room. (It isn't.) Then I decided on the Onix X-LS, which went over better by virtue of being smaller. This would actually end up costing me a bit more, though, since I'd have to buy a subwoofer as well. And I'm having trouble finding more than one or two places online that sell them. So I cruised over to this thread hoping to find some ideas, and now you've all got me thinking. Which of the two of these would be better for a 5.1 setup used mainly for movies and television (but occasionally for music)?

19. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

They are both so inexpensive, you can try both and decide which to keep. Last I heard, BB & CC have 30 day return policies. One hint. The primus is apparently a very crisp sounding speaker, the Insignia is probably more mellow.

20. John Garcia

John

Actually, you may be able to get away without a sub for a while with the X-LSs. I used to own GR Research A/V-1s, which the X-LSs are nearly identical in design to (same designer...) and their bass was very respectable. The A/V-1s have a 5 1/4" driver vs the X-LSs 6 1/2", but with the same tuning, so I'd expect bass to be acceptable for a while. I now own the larger GRs, the A/V-2s.

The only Insignias I saw on the BB site all had polycarbonate tweeters. Generally not a high selling point for me, but I suppose I'll have to listen to them the next time I'm over there. I've heard the Primus 160s and liked them.