Infinity Primus 160 vs. Alpha 20

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chad_B, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Chad_B

Chad_B Extra

I know Infinity is kind of hush, hush on this site. Just curious if anyone has an opinion or insight on the difference between the Primus 160 and the Alpha 20. On paper they appear the same, however we all know that to be not true. I have yet to A and B them. I was wondering if the difference in price was actually worth it. The Primus 160 is very comparible on paper and is the higher price for the 20's worth it?

Any thoughts would be helpful...thanks.

2. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

Infinity makes nice speakers that sound great with their clear, un-colored sound. There will be some differences between the Alphas and the Primus line. First off, I must add that if you can get your hands on some Entra Ones instead that this would be your best bet, if not:
    The Alphas will have a more clear, defined sound IMO. Also, they will have better drivers -CMMD- over the -MMD- of the Primus line. Alphas will probably have better "stuff" inside such as crossovers, wiring, etc...
    On the other hand, Primus will sound pretty good and cost a lot less.
    I have only heard these two lines compared by center channels. The difference was not groundshaking,but there was a difference.
    You may also want to consider a sub woofer for home theare.
    The best thing that you can do is go and listen to both if it is possible.

3. Greg Walker

Greg Walker Stunt Coordinator

Here's my two cents,

I was using Infinity RS-1s as my mains when I first got into home theater. These would be comparable to the Entra Ones. I found the Alpha 20s at a price I couldn't resist so I decided to upgrade. I was expecting a moderate improvement in sound but was very pleasantly surprised when I got the 20s home. I would definately take the 20s over the Entra Ones if you can get them at a decent price. They seem to be blowing them out up here in Canada.

4. Chad_B

Chad_B Extra

I have listened to the 20's a couple times and was impressed. They were clear and crisp. Could also hit the lows when needed. I liked the overall sound! What would be a better match for a center..the 37c or the alpha center? Infinity recommends the alpha center, but some posts I have read say to get the 37c since the center is such an important speaker and it more ranging and is a better option. Opinions on the 37c or the alpha center to go with the alpha 20 bookshelves?

I have yet to here the Primus line.

5. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the alpha center to get everything voice matched. The total sound of the speakers blends much better that way.

6. Greg Walker

Greg Walker Stunt Coordinator

For the price I was able to get the 20s, I bought a second set and am using a third 20 as my center. The sound field is obviously seamless. I have good reports about both center speakers you have mentioned, but I can't comment first hand on either of them.