Infinity Perfect 12.1 in a sonosub for HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_A, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

I may be able to get a hold of one of these suckers quite cheap. usually, i wouldn't even consider a car sub for HT since most have fairly low xmax specs, but this sucker has 14.15mm, supposedly in each direction. granted, this isn't linear xmax (as far as I can tell), but still better than most car subs.
    in fact, i initially got all excited after running a sim through WinISD, which apparently has built in T/S parameters for an old version of this sub or simply incorrect ones.
    anyway, the correct specs appear to be:
    http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Bo...s/P12.1d_f.pdf
    note that Infinity cheats a bit with the "in car" sensitivity number of 96dB @ 40hz. Looking at the sample boxes they have, the out of car response seems to indicate about 95dB @ 2.83V efficiency, which is still damn good.
    once i got everything straight, this SEEMS to work pretty well in a smaller enclosure than say a Shiva, which is one of the main reasons i'm considering it. in fact, it seems to model (in WinISD, i can't figure out unibox just yet [​IMG] )very similar to a Stryke SAE-1204.
    I'd like to keep the sonotube around 120L if possible, but i'm somewhat flexible. with that volume, and tuned to 20hz, i get pretty good response all the way down to just below 20hz, where it finally drops to -3db. again, that's just a simulation.
    I'm basically shooting for SVS level performance (seems everyone is, huh?). Would like it as flat as possible down to 20hz. My room isn't all that big, but I may be moving, so who knows about the future.
    Sooooooo with all that said, what do you guys think?

2. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

forgot to mention, this guy has used the same driver and seems to have pretty good results, but just looking for more info:
    http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/fung1/myhometheater.html
    His seems to be turned to 16Hz in a 120L box, which didn't give such a great curve in WinISD as he seems to be getting - thoughts? room gain?
    Oh and before i forget - cone sag? how do i figure out if that would be a problem?

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Borrowing a bit from Adire's Sealed Shiva Applications paper:

mass * force * deflection = Mmd * 9.8m/s^2 * Cms

= 199.96g * 9.8m/s^2 * 218.53um/N

= 0.19996kg * 9.8m/s^2 * 0.00021853m/(kg * m/s^2)

= 0.000428m

= 0.428mm

So you'll lose almost half a mm excursion in each direction by mounting the Infinity horizontally. That's only 3% of Xmax. But this driver has a much larger moving mass and much stiffer suspension than a Shiva. I don't know what that means in terms of stretching/loosening the suspension over time.

You didn't say how cheap you're getting this driver. If you're still paying about as much as a Shiva then you might also consider the Dayton DVC at Parts Express (#295-185). Its very similar to the Shiva, but has a smaller Vas and Qts so it'll work in a smaller box. I'm considering putting one in a 105L box tuned to 20Hz for a very flat response curve.

If you're getting the Infinity for considerably less $ and you don't want to wait for Shiva/DVC B-stocks or sales then I'd say get the Infinity.

4. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

well, i didn't say how cheap because i'm not exactly sure of that just yet [​IMG]. but it sounds like it's going to be too hard to pass up. if it doesn't look promising for HT, i may put it in my car or sell it elsewhere. maybe try it for HT and sell it if i don't like it. We shall see in regards to that...
    there's also the new PE/Dayton MKII on the way that looks to be quite incredible in its own right...about to start a thread on that one right now actually...
    well, any other opinions or experience on the infinity?