What's new

Infinity or JBL... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I am writing this comparison cause I am reading this forum for a while and found that JBLs are highly recommend for the budget 5.1 setup and I just bought infinity IL10 and IL25c center two weeks ago.

These recommendations made me little worry bout my infinitys and I was wondering if I made a wrong decision.

So to clarify the matter I called my local dealer to ask if I can compare these two brands and he gladly allowed me to do so.

our comparison included following speakers and amps:

Onkyo CD/DVD player (dont know the model)
Onkyo TX-8511
Harman Kardon Avr320

infinity IL10
infinity IL25c

JBL S38II
JBL S center

so we started with two channel music and I played every type of music available there, rock, pop, R&B, jazz, classical, etc. I found infinity much much clearer than JBL, JBL was too forward in mids for every kind of music, Only thing sounded better on mid and high frequencies on JBL was strings. JBL wuz not as clear as Infinity for my ear. But JBL produces bass little better than Infinity but again boomier than infinity.

Then we tested some 5.1 stuff and again infinity wuz clearer than JBL. I heard every single detail.

Then for my curosity I checked Infinity with axioms, paradigms and klipsch, and surprisingly Infinity won the race against axioms and paradigms, but klipsch sounded better than infinity, I don't know the model I think it was sb-2 or sb-3. but it was more expensive than infinity.

to conclude I will say that its my very own opinion and maybe you guys don't agree with me, But I will suggest that If you are in the market for budget speaker setup, give it a try to infinity interlude series and hear yourself. I am a very satisfied owner and specially after this comparison.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Yes, the Infinity IL series is damned fine, and the IL10, IMO, is the best sounding bookshelf for

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I agree that the Interlude series doesn't get the respect they deserve, but I'm surprised that they sounded better than the Axioms to you. I've heard that the Axioms are almost as good as the Divas. What model Axioms did you listen to? And what model Paradigm?
Thanks,

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Axioms were m3ti, and paradigm were titans, and the guy told me that there is nothing special about axioms, axioms just make cabinets in canada and buy their drivers from china and korea. I dont know if is true or not. I suggest that you should compare those by yourself, maybe my taste is different than you. Note that I never said that axioms or paradigm sounded bad, but infinity just sounded clearer than 'em.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
The IL10's are one of the most impressive shelves I've heard to date (although my list a quite limited). I've owned a pair shortly, only to sell it right after b/c I couldn't afford the full interlude setup (4 IL10's and an IL36 center) and I also received an offer I couldn't refuse ;). Of the bookshelves I've owned so far, I'd have to rate them in the following order:
First Kenwood HTB series < Polk NSP1II < Infinity HPS1.5 < Acoustic Research AR17 < Infinity IL10

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm glad you found your new Infinity speakers better than JBL though i'm in the mood for defending the S38s so bear with me.
The comparison is between a 3 way to a 2 way. The 2-way has that advantage of less crossover and drivers to blend. The JBL also has a larger frequency response giving more of the sound spectrum. The more sounds being produced the less clear it may seem.
This is the first time i've heard a description of the S38 as boomy. Perhaps a description could be describing the S38 as just having more bass. Unless the S38s are against the backwall or corner loaded I have never heard the bass sound anything other than smooth.
Whenever I do A/B testing I try to close my eyes so that I can decide with my ears, and only my ears. Otherwise, I find that I start liking a speaker just because it "looks" better than the others, or is more popular/expensive.
Hehe, I like discussions like this because everyone defends the speaker that they own. Guess what... I own S38s - surprise, surprise. :)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Trust me when I went to the store I wuz defending JBL not Infinity, cause heard lotta good things about it, and I wuz mentally ready that JBL would be better than mine and I will have to trade, and yes I did the blind testing, and as matter of fact I had a spring switch on my hand to switch the speakers any time I want. But I think its just matter of different tastes, lotta ppl here like JBL but I didnt find them very attractive to me and liked infinity better. I think thats why we have so many brands cause ppl have diferent tastes.

Matt

Grip
I have to say I also liked the Infinity Interlude series the best. I haven't seen it mentioned much here. I ended up getting a great deal for the full package (two IL40's, 2 IL10's, IL36C, and IL120).

Matt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's the first time I'm hearing that. My understanding was that Axiom has been building speaker drivers and OEM'ing them to the 'big name' speaker manufacturers for many many years
I'm not sure about the drivers, but I also heard they started as a volume cabinet maker. There is nothing special about the drivers, it is the cabinet design and choice of (or lack of) crossover that makes them special. :D
Personally, between the IL10 and the S26 (I have not heard the S38), I would go with the IL10. I felt they sounded quite similar to me, but the IL10 just sounded a little bit more full, and then there is the size issue. The IL10 is about half the size of the S38 while close in performance, with the exception of bass extension.
I really like the Axioms also, and for the price, I would take them over either the JBLs or the IL10 for music. They are more controlled, and detailed, but ar a little bright with brass instruments. Specifically for vocals, they do very well, IMO, but they are also good a percussion, guitar and piano.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
http://www.axiomaudio.com/corp.html
The 'Corporate Information' page from Axiom's website. Looks like they've been earning awards from back in '86, several of them from Sound & Vision magazine. And you're right, they do mention their unique cabinet design, along with crossover design ideas and driver design.
I haven't heard any of their speakers, so I can't comment on how they sound. It would surprise me if they get their drivers from China and Korea, that's all :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
By the way, I noticed the M3s were compared to Paradigm Titans. There is no comparison there, IMO. The M3s are better. You need to step up to the Mini Monitor to come closer to the M3Ti, though I still feel the M3 is a bit better overall.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
radiating angle to simulate outdoor listening.
Both JBL N & S-Series success with crystal clear, not piercing highs, flat frequency response dispersion, up to ±60º is attributed from the use of the TEC Award Winning LSR Pro Monitor Design unique Elliptical Oblate Spheroidal™ (EOS) waveguide, designed to that deliver the same response off-axis as it does on-axis and directs sound toward the listening area, not off the side walls, for a wider sound field with more precise imaging and localization. Not blowing smoke, ... it's Documented :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
by the objective results in Sound & Vision - by Tom Nousaine.
It just comfirms ALL what I personally hear and enjoy!
Phil

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
No I didn't compare M3ti to titans, they were separately compared with IL10. Axiom Vs paradigm was not my concern.
and about axiom drivers , only axiom owners can tell us, if their drivers are made by axiom or imported from china and korea.
anyone willing to?? :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Then what does this mean:

Axioms were m3ti, and paradigm were titans, and the guy told me that there is nothing special about axioms,
I agree with Phil that the midrange is where the JBLs shine, but the tweeters were a bit subdued for my tastes. Clear yes, "lively", not really. Objective testing does not always translate into a sound that everyone will prefer, as sound is a subjective thing. In the lab is one thing, each person's room, gear and ears and personal tastes are all something else.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
My personal philsophy is that it doesn't matter about the numbers, all that counts is the sound we perceive from the speakers. Each speaker holds it's own unique sonic qualities, and sure one may be louder or go lower in the frequency range, but can it reproduce these frequencies accurately? Some speakers may color the sound, some may reproduce it neutrally. I don't care what the lab tests say, I'm going to follow my ears. Some who own the JBL's will say the JBL's are superior and some who own the Infinity's will claim the Infinity's are better, but it all comes down to personal preference. I doubt very few if any of us has even compared these two speakers side by side, and many of us basing our purchasing decisions purely on reccommendation rather than auditioning numerous speakers. Perhaps if you compared these two speakers in person than your opinion of the other may possibly change. That I believe is most important; listening to the speakers in person side by side as opposed to simply comparing numbers.

Tom Nousaine had pretty good things to say about the IL10's if you ask me:
"The IL10 surround speaker had remarkable performance in virtually every respect"

In my opinion, and many others would agree with me, the IL10's take the cake for the entire Interlude line in terms of performance and value. As far as sound quality goes, they are far superior to the IL40's and quite possibly even the IL50's and IL60's.

Now I haven't heard the S series outside the showroom, nor have I been able to do side by side comparisons, so I won't ignorantly defend the Infinities as being better. I can only comment on the speakers I have heard or owned and personally compared.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I believe the sound&vision review isn't very relevant b/c they tested the Interlude package (IL36C center, 2 IL40's in the front, 2 IL10's in the rear, and IL100 sub) and did not isolate the IL10's in the listening. To test them simply as rears does not do these speakers justice. We all know very well that the majority of sound content is in the front channels, and I agree that the IL40's do not deliver. They are cheaper, and do not sound nearly as good as the IL10's

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well, there are several issues here, IMO...
* First and foremost, selective quotations out of context - anyone can post sections from anyone's reviews to make anything look good and anything look bad. Nousaine's integrity is above reproach, and I'm sure he lists the pros and cons of every speaker he tests.
* Next, room interactions. Nousaine's tests average the speaker's response across a pretty wide angle. This is very useful data, but it doesn't directly correlate to the speaker's performance on axis. In other words, speaker A may have a worse average over 30 or 60 degrees than speaker B, but may be have much better on-axis performance. If you have a reasonably damped room and toe in your speakers, A will have a measurably flatter frequency response at your listening position than B, even though B's averaged numbers are better in these reviews.
* And finally, taste. Like you said, everyone's tastes are different, and numbers don't really tell you whether you'll like something or not.
I can only comment on the speakers I have heard or owned and personally compared.
You have my respect. The last time I said something to that effect, someone made (what seemed to me) a disparaging remark about how "some people base their opinions on so-called auditions", or something like that - apparently implying that it was better to buy speakers based on magazine reviews and measurements than to go listen for oneself. That certainly left me shaking my head in bemusement :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Kevin Parker & Mike Kao said:
Agreed again, but based on the documented Speaker Manufactures Design processes above, ... choosing either JBL or Infinity is a win-win scenario.
Phil

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Agreed again, but based on the documented Speaker Manufactures Design processes above, ... choosing either JBL or Infinity is a win-win scenario.
Yup, Harmon International gets your money in both cases.
Sorry, couldn't resist :) I didn't know Infinity and JBL were both owned by Harmon. Thanks for pointing that out, Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks