What's new

Infinity or Boston Acoustic / Panasonic (1 Viewer)

escapement

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
This forum has been an absolute assett in building my home theater and I could not have done it without the questions asked and those who took the time to respond.

I have a couple of questions regarding final purchases and setup; I am stuck on the Panasonic AX100-U projector. From posts read, I think it is a great choice. It will be suspended from an eight foot ceiling 12 feet from a 100" screen, (room is 19'X24', and removal of ceiling fan leaves a hole that can be used). Ceilings and walls are painted accordingly to prevent reflection. Will I be utilizing this projector correctly, i.e. is the distance good for the size of screen?

Center, left and right speakers will be Infinity TSS-SAT4000. Rears will be the Infinity SAT 1100. I also have debated heavily on the Boston Acoustics P450 for the center, left and right, and rear BA Bravo II.

The BA's have larger drivers and are 6" taller which gives me the impression that they will look better mounted next to the screen. What speakers would YOU pick? Money does matter and the BA setup is $400 more. My Onkyo head unit is fairly new and cranks out 75W per channel and will be using that for some time until I win the lotto. Looking at distances of 20' for the rear speaker to the amp, is 16 guage Monster wire good enough? Is bigger better to counteract distance?

Apparently newbies cannot post links, and I had all the speakers linked to crutchfield. I hope that you find a moment to review my speaker selections. Crutchfield sales rep said the Infinity will give more crisp high compared to the BA's. He recommended the Infinity's over the BA's.

What would you buy with a retail price of around $3000. I know no one pays retail, but that is the only standard. I found the Panasonic AX100-U on the Net from four very reliable seller for just under $1400. I found that this particular projector has a manual zoom, is that such a bad thing?

So is there anything you would buy over the Panasonic for $3000 retail?

Thank You All for your responses...

Greg

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Question: what is the approximate ratio of music to HT you will be running on this setup? This question may not matter, since (after reading the specs and looking at photos), it seems both models are designed for home theather use.

For my money, however (since you posed the question "what...would YOU pick"), I would probably go with the Bostons, because 1. they are known to be a more accurate speaker for music, 2. they are the more efficient speaker (in this case), and 3. because they look sharper.

BTW, I have a Panasonic AE900 and rest assured, you are making a good selection there. Your distances and setup all seem to be pretty ideal for your model projector.

escapement

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Thank You for your response. I have serious issues picking the proper projector, it is my last purchase item and have issues finding the proper one. It is like seeing a car with 500 h.p. and say "...that's the one..." but let us not forget torque, suspension, ride quality, creature comforts. I see projectors for twice the price but half the lumens or twice the lumens for the same price as the panasonic. I think I will stick with the AX100U and just buy it. I have heard nothing but kudos about this projector, so I don't think I am going to make a bad purchase.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks