Infinity On-Wall speakers - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bret Pritchett, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at Circuit City's website and I saw a surround speaker that Infinity makes called "On-Walls". This caught my attention because I don't have much room for my surround speakers, and the less noticeable the better. Has anyone heard these? I'm thinking about going out to Circuit City sometime this week to check them out.

Also, any thoughts in general about Infinity speakers? I haven't seen too much talk about them on this forum.

thanks,
    Bret

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Are they the OSW-1's? If so, then I am familiar with them because I use them for my rear centers. I needed something thin because my seating position is against the back wall. After careful consideration, I decided against in-walls and the Infinity OSW-1 fit the bill perfectly size-wise.

They sound remarkably good for such a small speaker with little internal volume. As expected, they don't go real low, but if you set them to small and use a typical 80 Hz and up crossover, you shouldn't have a problem. They use ceramic metal drivers(.75" tweeter and 6.5" full-range)like most of the Infinity lines, which are very strong, but also very light.

Infinity speakers are known for their tonal neutrality-- that is, they don't intentionally design a rise in response in the mid-range like some speaker companies do, or some boost on the low end. The guy who oversees their designs, Dr. Floyd Toole, is very well respected, especially among DIY speaker builders, and is a freak about flat frequency response. Infinity is part of the Harman Group(Harman Kardon, JBL, Lexicon, etc...)

You can click on my website icon if you want to see some pictures of them in my room.

DJ

3. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Rooms present enough anomalies, so I think speakers should be flat, but designers do alot of different things to give their speakers their own "sound."

Of course, there are others who strive for flat system response and Infinity is one of them. Whether or not you prefer that though depends on your own personal taste.

Ideally, I would have liked to use B&W's to match the rest of my speakers, but these were the perfect size and I got them for free. Like I said though, they are solid performers for their intended use as rear centers.

There are a few titles with aggressive mixes in the back surrounds, but for the most part there is suprisingly little going on back there, so matching isn't as critical, IMO.

DJ