What's new

Infinity, JBL, Boston? (1 Viewer)

Gianluca

Agent
Hi everybody,

I'm a total newbie...

I'm thinking about buying some speakers for my living room.
I think I am going to have a 5x100W receiver.

I took a look over the internet and I saw some nice models:

Infinity Alpha5 HCSII
JBL SCS 20

Do you think they are powerful enough, or do you suggest to spend more money and buy something like:

Boston 9000II
Infinity Modulus
JBL SCS 178

Please note that I don't need to tear my wall down with too much power :D

If you think that I should consider some other models please post them.

PS I live in Italy, I could have some problems getting some models...

Gianluca

Agent
Ok, today I went to a local dealer.
The assistant showed me few models.

I was thinking about this configuration:

Polk R15 (L-R & Surround)
Polk Csi 20 (Centre)
Polk PSW 350 (Sub)

or

Boston CR55 (L-R & Surround)
Boston CRC (Centre)
Boston PV400 (Sub)

any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kip Lackey

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the Boston PV-400 sub. It works great for a smaller room and blends really well with the CR series. On your front speakers, maybe try to go a bit bigger such as the CR75. I have CR7's and a CR2 center channel. They sound really good together for movies and the front soundstage is seamless. I think you will like them and they have a very clean look. Boston has great service as well. I can't say anything for the Polk's as I've never owned any.

Gianluca

Agent
Thanks for the information!

I am thinking about spending max $900 for the speakers.

If anyone has a nice configuration for this money... don't hesitate...

Cheers!

:D :)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I would take a look at the JBL studio series:

S-38II mains $300
S-CenterII $150
S-36II surrounds $250

That leaves $200 for the sub. People liked the Sony SA-WM40 but that has been discontinued. There is a new model out (the SA-WM500) but I don't think a lot of people have it yet.

Mark

Gianluca

Agent
I think that here in Italy the sub Sony SA-WM40 is still in production.

Do you think is a good sub or should I look for something else?

What about the Boston and Polk subs?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Gianluca: If you get the Bostons, like Kip said you should get larger front speakers--I agree about the CR75 model. Even crossed-over, the fronts can still receive some powerful upper bass signals that might overload those small CR55 models.

I own Boston Acoustic speakers myself (the CR9).

LJ

Gianluca

Agent
Mmmmh.... CR75....

I don't know if I can afford them!

What if I buy:

2x CR65
CRC
2x CR55

I am still not sure about the sub!

Please help me... :D :D

Phil~E~Guy

Grip
My Boston speakers are Great! Spend the money if you can. Don't buy the Boston Subwoofer PV400 (it's not powered). The PV600 is better for about $450, PV800 has design problems. If I don't build a subwoofer I'll buy the PV1000.

My system includes:
Sony STR-DA4ES Receiver
Pioneer Elite DV-45A
Boston Center Speaker CRC (Great Speaker)
Boston Fronts and Rears CR85 (Better Than Great Speakers)
Planning on building a 12" subwoofer

Gianluca

Agent
Well, I also have to consider that I don't need too much power, my living room is very small, and I am not fond of loud volume.
I just need something "accurate" that could be good for music and films.

Now I am oriented for:

Boston 2x CR65 (L&R)
Boston CRC (center)
Boston 2x CR55 (surround)
Sony SA-WM40 (sub)

Sony DVP-NS705/S (dvd)
Sony STR-DE685/S or above (receiver)

This is going to be my first home theatre, do you think I will be satisfied? Now for music I have a Bose AM3.

Thanks for all your replies!

Phil~E~Guy

Grip
Gianluca, I spent hours picking my components.

I didn't care for the cr55/cr65 and found a huge difference the cr85's had over the cr75's. You won't always be listening in that small room, so buy the better speakers and lower the volume.

My 7.1 system doesn't crack and often scares the hell out of us during action scenes, even without a subwoofer. My research on subwoofers lead me to want a custom built sub.

Cars driving by the house shaking windows only prove to me they don't know about subs. They only know the volume is set high causing shaking and rattles.

Kip Lackey

Stunt Coordinator
Gianluca,
First of all, buy what you can afford and will make you happy. We all want the greatest stuff but most of us can't afford it and are on limited budgets like you.

Maybe go CR75 in front with CR5 in the rear. The Boston PV400 is powered by 65 watts if I'm not mistaken. HOWEVER, from what I've read, you will probably get better performance from the Sony as long as you stuff some extra poly-fill inside it.

I think you will be very happy with these speakers. I know I was and still am. I really like my CR7's (same thing as CR75). They sound great with movies and music. The Boston's have a really nice, clean look that even my wife doesn't mind.

Phil~E~Guy

Grip
I looked on the Boston Acoustic and Tweeter websights but could no longer find the CR7 or that series type speakers.

I believe your the CR75's and CR7's are the same. The CR75's having upgraded grill covers. I liked them because they are not see through.

Here is a pair of CR7's on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14991

As for the PV400 (7" driver/65 watts powered) it responds down to 44Hz. Not down to the 20-24HZ desired.

Here is a PV400 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3275

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
[/b] on most clips, which certainly pleased our hosts.
* JBL's Studio Series S38 & S412P loudspeakers - CEA Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Award Winner

Based on the 3-reasons above, ... I'd say that JBL met it's goal ... to meet the challenge, to accurately re-create the surround sound or stereo recording environment to reproduce movie soundtracks and music with remarkable realism.

FYI: Read my Yamaha RX-V1300 Subjective Observation Review (semi-pro musician) using six JBL S26's, JBL S-Center and SVS 25-31PCi. (I bought the seven JBL S-Series speakers (S26 x6 & S-Center) @ an AVG price of $104 each including S/H)

If you can, ... add the JBL S-Series to your audition list!

For more JBL S-Series INFO & Reviews w/links, see my webpage Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!.

**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!

Phil

Gianluca

Agent
Now I have to think about the sub!

I don't like the Sony SA-WM40, too boomy, I am not able to fill it with stuff.

Polk Subs seems to sound ok, what about the PSW250 or PSW350?
The PSW250 seems to have poor specs tough.

The shop also have Audio Pro, what about Audio Pro Sub+?
It sounds good, take a look:
Audio Pro Sub+

I also tried this config:

Polk 4x R15
Polk CSi20

What do you think of this? Is Boston better quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks