Infinity CC3 sounds dull

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by KennyG, Jan 1, 2004.

1. KennyG

KennyG Extra

A few years ago I bought the Infinity CC3, a pair of RS5's, and a pair of QPS1's as surround speakers. For some reason my CC3 sounds dull. I tried adjusting the brightness levels to the highest levels, and it seemed to help a little, but it just doesn't seem like dialogue comes through clear enough. I'm setting my center channel to a higher level than the others, but then I don't get as much effect from the other speakers it seems.

I recently purchased a Pioneer 563A and an Onkyo 501 receiver to replace an old player and receiver.

Would a digital or optical cable for the DVD to Receiver help out at all? How can I get my center channel to have louder and clearer dialogue?

Thanks!

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Using the digital connection should make a singificant difference, but may not solve your center problem.

Without even knowing where you have placed it, I am going to say that speaker positioning is a factor in your issue. How is the speaker placed? On top of the TV? Inside a cabinet (with or without a door), etc...

4. KennyG

KennyG Extra

My center channel speaker is placed on top of my television.

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

KennyG,

I used to own that center channel and never had any problems with it. Do you have the stand for it? If it were set right on top of the TV without the stand it would point (if I recall correctly) toward the ceiling. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but it's worth asking... Along the line of things you've already probably checked, have you checked that the speaker cable is not wired out of phase?

-Robb

6. KennyG

KennyG Extra

Robb Roy,

I will double check that, the wiring. It is possible although I thought I checked the phase on everything before plugging in.. I do have the stand and it is sitting on that, pointing slightly down towards ear level. I will let you know if I find anything with that. Thanks!

7. Skip Hammerman

Silly Question -

But, have you checked to see if your tweeter has gone dead?

8. KennyG

KennyG Extra

I have not checked the tweeter. How do I do that? Do I have to take it somewhere to get checked?

9. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Just play something at low volume and move your ear across the drivers. Make sure you get sound from each driver. Should be obvious if one is out.

10. John Garcia

John
    A blown tweeter should be very obvious. Put your hand over the tweeter while something is playing, and there should be a noticable difference between covered and not.

If the tweeter seems OK, make sure you pull the speaker flush or even a bit overhanging the front of the TV and try to isolate the speaker a bit from the top surface of the TV.

11. KennyG

KennyG Extra

I guess the tweeter sounds fine. I put my hand over the front and there wasn't any difference. If I turn the sound up a bit, or the center channel level up it doesn't sound too bad. It's basically when I want to listen at a lower volume and not shake the walls down when I can't hear dialogue clearly.

I just bought a digital coax wire yesterday. I did notice an increase in quality from the floor and surround speakers. I still have to make some adjustments though because nothing came out of the center after that. I think I have to switch the receiver to doing the Dolby Digital decoding instead of the player. If I can't figure it out maybe I'll contact Infinity or Crutchfield and see what they say.

Thanks!

12. John Garcia

John

13. KennyG

KennyG Extra

I used the test tones when first setting up the receiver, but I wouldn't really know how to set it up. All I noticed was that sound was coming from each speaker.

Where do I get an SPL meter, for how much? How is it used?

Thanks

14. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Radio Shack $30

Use it calibrate your system, It will sound better than ever. The tones should all be the same volume from your listening position. Run the tones and adjust the volume setting for each speaker(not master volume) so they are the same (+/- 2db) SPL during the test tone sequence.

Good Luck and ask for help!

15. John Garcia

John
  16. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Still not clear on this:

You put your hand over the CC3's tweeter, and you DO or DO NOT hear a difference??

You *should* be hearing a difference. If you're not, that means you're not getting any output from the tweeter.

17. KennyG

KennyG Extra

RichardH: I played a DVD, and placed my hand over one speaker on the CC3, but it sounded the same. I then covered the other speaker and the sound was the same coming from that one too. So when I covered the speaker I DID NOT hear any difference.

This means the tweeter was probably blown? What would cause something like that? I never even listened to movies that loud where I would think I could've blown it. I don't even watch a movie every week either (far from it). Oh well, if that is the problem, I'll have to get that checked out. Thanks!

18. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

The tweeter is in the middle [​IMG]

19. KennyG

KennyG Extra

Tony Genovese: I did pick up a digital coax cable and I could notice a difference immediatley in the sound.

It looks like the CC3 does have a blown tweeter. Infinity wrote me back and told me that too much power could have caused it, but more often it's that it gets too little power, or something to that effect, that can cause a tweeter to blow. Obviously to me, that is what had to happen, as I don't watch movies as often as I thought or at a high enough level to have it been blown from too much power.

Now I must start to make some calls to see how much thi will cost. (and one of my new year' resolutions is to save money ;P)

20. John Garcia

John
    Too little power creates inaccurate sinewaves (distortion), which can heat up the voice coils in the drivers trying to reproduce the "bad" sound, and the tweeter's small voice coil is typically the first to go.