Infinity and JBL timber matched?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Tk, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

They are made in the same plant right? they used all the same parts, just cosmetically look different. Infinity has the same models as JBL does. I can get any infinity speaker at cost, and was just curious if anyone thought they might be timber matched because they are from the same company and same plant.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I don't think that they are designed to match at all, I don't know where you got that source for information. The Infinity uses that CMMD tweeter while JBL uses titanium dome. The tweeter is crucial for matching and when jbl uses say, a smaller tweeter of a different composition like their northridge, It will NOT match the infinity's larger tweeter of a different design. Not to mention that JBL uses a horn and different ports and how how different the various models sound.

Not even JBL speakers are timbermatched to JBL speakers cause there's northridge and studio.

So in conclusion...

Just because a speaker has similar parts and built in the same place, does not mean that they match.

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

You could have just said no, instead of trying to act like your some how superior just because you know more about a speaker. But thanks for that remark!

4. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

Steve_Tk,
    when you ask a question here it means you dont know about it or confirming your knowledge with other who knows better than you, and if someone answer your question its a favour not your right, so be please polite, not an ass.

5. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

Good answer Chris, very detailed, just like I expect to see here.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Steve_TK on this one.

NO, JBL NO LONGER uses horn tweeters. JBL and Infinity are both OWNED by Harmon Audio, that does not mean they are both manufactured in the same place (at least I have never heard this anyway).

The enclosures are different, and while they do have a similar sound, I wouldn't call them timbre matched.

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Kevin Parker

I'm not saying I know more than anyone. I asked the question for the purpose of finding out information from people who know more than I do. What I don't appreciate are the people who think they are "better" than someone else because they know something that person doesn't know. I'm glad Chris answered my question, but the way he answers it is not all that great. when I read his response, the tone I got was "your an idiot if you thought that". And Kevin, the only one here that's been an ass is you for calling me one.

And I was not saying that they were timber matched, just asking because I heard they were made at the same plant (this could have been wrong, that's why I asked). So I wasn't sure if it was kind of like a Camaro and a Firebird, same chassis (I think), but different cosmetics.

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I apologize if my answer came off as offensive. I didn't mean to start an argument or take sides. I usually post during my lunch break at work and sometimes it's early before I had my coffee and I just don't think. [​IMG]
    I didn't want to attack the poster, but was attacking the argument of "Just because a speaker has similar parts and built in the same place, does not mean that they match."
    John, I know JBL doesn't use HORN horns but I classify their EOS waveguide ellipse on their speakers as a horn. It alters the sound, maybe not as much as a full blown horn but it's there.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Well I apologize as reading your response as offensive. I probably just read it wrong.

10. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Great response and very informative. These are the responses that are helpful too many other lurker/readers.
    PS Next time just leave out that first line in the response.[​IMG]