What's new

Infinity Alpha vs IL - & prices (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I've heard only a couple of brands of speakers at my local Circuit City, and the very best ones I've heard so far have been the Infinity speakers.

The ones they had on, were the IL-30s I think. I wanted to go with the IL-60s because of the bigger subs, but I keep hearing all of these negative things about having powered towers, especially when you already have a great sub.

Right now I have an SVS 16-46 PCi, and already am in the process of getting a B4+ so I'm not sure that I need to have powered towers anymore.

So, I was thinking about going with the Alpha 50s. I have NEVER heard the Alpha models. Are they similar in sound to the Interlude?

Also, what are your guys' opinions on the Infinity Alpha speakers?

What kind of price range am I looking at, and where can I find them for the lowest price, while still being brand new?

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I only have a set of IL-10s so I don't know how much this will help. I have listened to several different brands and the IL's really do stack up nicely against some of the other more "exotic" names. The tweeter is nice and laid back. I find myself partial to speakers with a bit calmer tweeter. Mine are only bookshelves but the sound is nice and full. If you like the IL's then seek them out.

The Alpha's are supposed to be the replacement for the IL's but I have always read that the Alpha's were close but not exactly the IL's. Most people that have the Alpha's have no problem with them regardless.

The Alpha line has been seen around online for a considerable discount. Check OneCall and other online retailers for closeouts. The Beta's are supposed to be out soon so everyone is clearing out the Alpha's. The 50's and 37 center would be a nice setup I would think.

I would have (and probably should have) stuck with the Infinitys also but I just wanted a change for my new system.

SteveAnd

Grip
I recently sold my Infinity Encore's because I just didn't like having to plug each one into an outlet. They sounded fantastic, but I wanted to get away from the "powered speaker" thing. I was all set to get the Alpha 50's, went to CC to hear them & just for kicks, listened to the other speakers they had there. Did an A/B with the Polk RTi8's and was floored. The Alpha's sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over them in comparison with the Polk's. The RTi8's don't have as much bottom end as the Alpha's, but they have killer midrange and treble. My sub makes up for the low notes. I went with the Polk's all around & couldn't be happier.

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I use Alpha 20s across the front of my HT. I am very impressed with them. They are amazingly detailed and Infinity speakers have a reputation as being very "flat". I chose the 20s more for budgetary reasons than anything else, but I have heard of others who actually prefer the 20s to the 50s, especially if they are going to be used with a sub. You may want to take a listen and see what you think. I would not hesitate to buy these speakers again if I was doing it over.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

I have listened to Polk speakers and it was not a pretty sight. It wasn't even playing that loud, and they sounded awful. The higher frequencies were giving me a terrible headache and I had only been listening to them for 30 seconds. After a few minutes I thought I was going to be sick.

I want to stick with Infinity, but I'm not sure wether to go with the Alphas or the Interludes. If only there was a way to hear the Alphas, it would help me make a better decision.

Kris_Smith

Agent
I love my alpha 50's....

They are "great" for music....

They are "good" for HT....Kinda high.....

Although I do not have a sub yet...

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Mitch- I wouldn't wait on the Beta's. I would jump all over the deals on the Alphas that are out there. I saw a set of Alpha 20's clearing out on OneCall. I would also check out Crutchfield. They have the towers on sale. I don't think the Beta's will be all that much of an upgrade.

I also liked the laid back sound of the Infinitys compared to the Polks and such. My ears and metal tweeters just don't get along. You are probably the same way. Different people really do hear things differently. I have a set of PSB's right now and my ears start hurting after a while. The PSB's are actually known for having a smooth and rolled off high end and they still seem too bright to me. I am about to go back to the dome tweeter world. I would get the Alpha's myself if I didn't have a fascination with the DIY stuff.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Interlude was replaced by Alpha, which is now being replaced by Beta. I'm surprised there's still Interlude product out there.

I've got a pair of IL60's and I fully intend on being burried with them ;)

Brad V

Auditioning
The Infinity Alpha 20's are exactly what I've been looking at. I founnd them at Etronics for about $200, which I though was a pretty good deal. I've always been partial to the infinity's, they play nice and high without hurting my ears to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks