Infinity Alpha on way out?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Drew_W, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Looking over the new Future Shop flyer, I saw them clearing out H/K receivers...fine, the x25s are on the way out, the x30s are on the way in. I then flipped the page and saw that they'd put the Infinity Alpha line on clearance as well. So my question is: is the Alpha line getting discontinued by Infinity (and if so, what/when is it getting replaced), or is Future Shop just ceasing to carry this brand, since Best Buy just picked up the Infinity Primus line (a lower-end line, but more "consumer accessible" I'd think if this is where the company's going).

Am I missing something?

(If this is a repeat post, I apologize, but I haven't been on the forum for a few days and couldn't find anything about this topic)

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Alphas were just released within 6 months. I highly doubt they are on their way out. Must just be a sale, or they will not be carrying them any longer. Have you tried calling them?

What you don't often see in many stores is the Kappa line.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I auditioned the Kappas briefly, and I hate to say it, but I was not all that impressed. The tweeters sound great as always, but they tended to be a bit sloppy on the low end. There could have been some room effect too, but I was listening to my own SACDs and CDs on some nice gear in a dedicated listening room (no bass traps or treatments though). Better than the Alphas, but also more $$, and I've heard better in the same price range. The previous generation had a more pleasing sound to me.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The Alpha series was released overseas much earlier than in the US. I've seen it in Japanese audiophile magazines before they hit the US. Somehow I get the feeling the Infinity brand is in a mess again, after things seem to be going good for the last couple of years. Looking at the latest Infinity offerings, like the series that's replacing the Entra series, I think the Canadian brands (Athena, Paradigm, and Energy - Mirage seems a little more upmarket) have it all over Infinity. This is very puzzling to me, given both the technical and human resources at Harman's disposal.

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

While I did state I will consider buying Infinitys again, I still worry about that company.

IMO huge corporations like Harmon International are too large & unwieldy to have clear goals anymore and their products have begun to suffer as a result.

And with the widespread habit these days of pleasing the manufacturer's shareholders first rather than the CUSTOMERS, many companys products are suffering. They will eventually find out the hard way such short-term thinking will come back to haunt them.

LJ

7. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

I have always found a huge gap between Infinity's higher end and entry speakers. I have a HT with Intermezzo 4.1t and Intermezzo center and surrounds that I would not change but feel that many other companies offer better entry and mid-price products. Something is lost at Harmon when higher end technology "trickles down"...