Infinity Alpha 50 vs. Infinity Primus 360

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AnnLucky, Nov 16, 2004.

1. AnnLucky

AnnLucky Auditioning

Ok, here it goes...

I think I have a really good idea on what speakers and equipment I'm going to get for a 22x20' room. My budget is around $1500-2000

Receiver: Pioneer 1014TX-K
    Center: Infinity Primus c25
    Rear Surrounds: Infinity Primus 150 (x2)
    Front Mains: Infinity Primus 360 (x2) or Alpha 50 (x2)Subwoofer: SVS PB12-ISD

Is there any real difference between the two? Also, would buying the Alpha's over the Primus 360's result in a lesser blend because the Alpha's are not part of the Primus series?

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed as this is my only remaining question!

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

It is most important that you at least try to match the front left, right, and center speakers as they are the closest. If you can, try to get the Alpha 37c 3 way center, it really is a great center.

The best setup is to have the same exact speaker (ie all Alpha 50s) all around for best voice matching, though its not something most people can afford to do. The next best thing is to stay within the same line, in this case primus or alpha, or within same driver technology (CMMD or MMD), or last within the same company (infinity). With the Primus line, Infinity decided to decided to go low end and do away with CMMD and replaced the driver with the more inferior MMD.

If I was in your position, if I can't get the Alpha 37c center (or even the regular Alpha center), I'd stick with primus 360 with primus center in order to match the fronts. However, the Alpha line is definitely better than the Primus line. Alpha 50 (and Alpha center) are much better than the Primus 360 and Primus center. Just looking at the specs between the 50 and 360, the Alpha has a larger midrange (5.25" vs 4") and larger woofers (8" vs 6.25") (comparison via crutchfield). Though I'm not saying the primus line is bad, I just feel the Alpha is in a higher level, more close to the newer Infinity Beta line (which replaced the alpha) where the primus are meant for entry level audio line. The Primus 150 are good bookshelves, check out the review at stereophile.

Alpha reviews
    http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Mi...INFINTY.Q5.pdf

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Mi...eview%20HT.pdf

Primus 150
    http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeak...s/404infinity/

If it means anything, I'm happy with my setup, though I'm no audiophile. Alpha 50 fronts, Alpha 37C center, and Primus 150 surrounds.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Even having all the same speaker won't guarantee voice matching because of the different acoustic properties that will exist in each place you put one. (unless you have a 'perfect' room design, of course)

The Beta's should be a "close enough" match to the Primus as they use similar science and design and acoustic theory. If you still listen to music in 2-channel as I do, go with the Beta's. If nothing else, it'll give you reason to slowly upgrade the other speakers [​IMG]

4. AnnLucky

AnnLucky Auditioning

OK, so how would the Alpha center (basic one) compare to the center I have currently picked out? I'm guessing they are pretty close judging by price, although price doesn't determine everything...

I see crutchfield has the Alpha basic center for less than the primus center....

5. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

The Alpha center should be better as it has a 1" CMMD tweeter which is only used in Infinity's current higher end models. The MMD drivers used in the Primus line is derived from CMMD and is used in the Primus line to keep costs down. I've seen the Alpha 37C center from www.theaudiovideosource.com for $180. They also have listings on ebay along with harmonaudio.com for infinity speakers. Buying from either of them will still give you the full 5 year warranty. If you can, check Circuit City, they may still have some alphas on clearance, thats where i got mine a month or 2 ago.

6. AnnLucky

AnnLucky Auditioning

Sounds good, and i assume theaudiovideosource.com is a good place to order online, and should it really matter that it is refurbished?

7. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

As long as you buy from an authorized Infinity dealer, you should be in good hands. Infinity (Harmon) has really good service, they really take care of their customers.

8. AnnLucky

AnnLucky Auditioning

One last question, how can I tell if they are an authorized dealer???

9. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

Infinity has a listing of authorized dealers on their website.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...retailers.aspx

Your system looks like it may very well shape up to me the same as mine. I can't afford the PB12 though. [​IMG] I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up getting.

10. AnnLucky

AnnLucky Auditioning

Ok thanks, I forgot about checking their website. Guess thats all I have, so I'll probably be ordering soon.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this and any other threads I had started.