What's new

Infinity Alpha 50 v. Kappa 400 (1 Viewer)

Joe Tucker

Auditioning
I recently purchased a set of Alpha 50s from Crutchfield along with the Alpha center and recieved a set of Primus surrounds for free with the deal.

Here's my question. I've got an opportunity to purchase some Kappa 400s and I'm wondering, how big of a step up is this? Will they be a close match to my center?

Also, if I stick with the Alphas I'm considering switching out the center and getting either the 37c or the Beta C360. The 37c is kinda hard to find but I can get the big C360 for around $300 on ebay. Will the beta voice match to the alphas?

I know there are several questions here...your input is appreciated.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
I own the 37c and can tell you first hand that it is a great center channel. If at all possible purchase the 37c.

LP

James Phung

Second Unit
I haven't heard the Kappas but at $2000/pair vs the $1000/pair Alpha 50s were, it better be a big step up. :)

The Kappa, Alpha, and Beta all use the same type of CMMD (ceramic metal matrix diaphragm) driver technology so I would imagine they should all match.

The beta should match with the alphas. The beta line did replace the alpha line. The beta line uses metal grills and I've heard reports that they sound much better with the grills off so you might want to give them a good listen with grills on/off. Definitely try to get the 37c if you can.

If you plan on getting the Alpha 20s bookshelfs eventually, I would suggest doing it now. I was trying to find some recently and pretty much all the authorized dealers are out and I had to get a pair off ebay.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
The Kappas have not gotten great reviews from what I have seen. It appears that much of the additional cost has gone into the furniture grade cabinets. I am sure they are good speakers. They just seem a little pricey

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
If you can't find a 37c the Interlude IL36 would also probably be a good match. They look almost identical. Mine sounds terrific w/ IL60 mains. I once read that the Alpha surrounds would be a great match for the Interludes so the reverse must also be true.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard the Kappas, and while they are better, they are not 2x the price better. The cabinets are definitely much nicer, but they just don't seem to compare favorably in their price range the way some of the older Infinitys did.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator

Hey John, these speakers originally listed for $999 EA., what would yoour opinion be if they were only $700 for the PAIR? They look interesting at this price, no?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Much more attractive at that price :)

Found similar deals locally when the local Kappa dealer closed down. They were blowing out all of their inventory, but I wasn't in the market for any speakers.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, I kinda wondered. I mean, a $2000/pr speaker selling for $699/pr? that can't be, right? are they, or were they, really a $2000/pr speaker?

If I decide to look closer at these, what would I use for surrounds or a center in a HT?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's a matching center, but I'm not sure what you would use for surrounds, maybe some 200s? I believe the line was discontinued, so it may not be so easy to find them. Could also be why the prices have dropped so much.

ray tubach

Stunt Coordinator
yep, discontinued after a very short time. don't know why - they got some kind of award when they were first released. they certainly are beautiful to look at. I'm thinking that, OK, maybe they're not a $1000 speaker. maybe they were just too expensive to make at the market segment they were released in. maybe they're only a $500 or $600 or $700 speaker wrapped up to look like a $1K speaker. but @ $350, it would seem to offer a lot of value, no?

I found one of the the Kappa centers for sale but it is not similarly discounted so not a possibliity at this time.

I believe they have the same CMMD drivers as the other models in the current Infinity higher-end line up so that may be a possibility. thanks for your replies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not sure, but I'd say a lot of their cost was in the cabinets. They are very solid and attractive cabinets, but the sound was not quite at the same level to justify their pricing, IMO. The MTS line sounded better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks