Infiniti G35-Owners Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Miller, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

In the market for a second car, which will be mostly mine to use until my wife decides to change her mind and switch cars. Choice is narrowed down to 3---G35, BMW 325i and Lexus IS300.

After test driving them all, and the G35 today for the second time, I'm leaning toward the G35. Quicker than the other two, at least as nimble as the BMW and it seems, even better balanced, I don't see a down side to this car.

I've never spoken to anyone who has owned either of the other two cars and had complaints about them...But I don't know anyone who has the G35. Anyone here have one willing to share their opinions? Thanks.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Since I have yet to even think about owning one of those cars you mentioned I will give the opinion of one of my friends who went through several luxury cars. She now has a 325i which replaced her Audi A6 (?). The only reason she did the switch is because she always wanted a BMW, but she misses the power and nimbleness of the Audi.
    As for personal opinion on looks, it's no question the G35 wins hands down. And it's powered by the 3.5 liter Nissan VQ, simply the best V6 ever made. Couple that with the FM chassis which is the one also used on the Skyline and you have a great looking car that performs better than it looks.
    What me biased? [​IMG]

3. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Full disclosure: I own a '01 330i.

Personally, I think the G35 drives very well ... perhaps even better than the 330i (certainly better than a 325i). However, I would pick a 330i any day over a G35. The BMW is simply a better overall car imho. It has a nicer cockpit and road feel. Also, the G35 can't even come close to the BMW in terms of looks... There's just no comparison.

However, to choose between a G35 and a 325i is another story... Either way, you'll have a great car and the G35 can do nothing but improve competition within the category.

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

The November car and driver has a preview of the G35 coupe. It's even more stunning than the G35 sedan and has a 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds! It's based upon the 350Z but stretched 8 inches. Might be a better way to go; the G35 has too many similarities to the Nissan Altima looks wise. (except for the back end)

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yummy (G35 coupe), omg i cant wait for the new C&D!

6. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I have an I35 today as a loaner and that 255 horse engine is sweet! My 1997 I30 can't hold a candle to it at 190 hp.

I'm really happy with Infiniti/Nissan as a whole. They are just good solid machines. Their 6 cyl engine is at the top of the heap year after year, and every year Nissan seems to improve upon it. I will be sure to trade this I30 for the newest Infiniti when the time comes.

7. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Tough choice there Carl. I can't advise on either but I can suggest an alternative. I went for a maxed out Altima a few months ago and wound up very happy with the car.

There are differences though. FWD verses RWD. Sports luxury verses an adequate/functional/roomy interior. Prestigious emblem verses hum-dum Nissan emblem. Price.

First, the VQ-6 with 4-speed automatic is the finast drivetrain I've owned. It blows away previous cars such as Porsche, Mustang etc. Smooth, powerful, willing to run, just flat-out fun. Car handles very well. A little bit of torque steer on heavy acceleration can surprise but otherwise comfortable, without being stiff. Seats four with ease. My 6'4" son fits front or back - leg room not an issue. Eight speaker Bose is exceptional. Pleather is not luxurious but OK.

At 29k including tax & tags the car has all options cept' skirts. Unless you don't like the looks of the car, you should drive one.

8. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I too own a '02 330i (for 3 weeks now). Previously I owned an X5 4.4i.

I considered the G35, and A4 3.0. I really wasn't considering the 330i until later.

I really wanted to like the G35. The rear seats are huge and comfy. The front seats are not as comfy - the passenger seat has only 2 adjustments (my wife and I carpool all the time, it's a big deal). It had plenty of high RPM power, but I wasn't impressed off the line. I really liked the interior, but it is quirky. On our fourth visit to the dealer, after two test drives, we were ready to talk price. The dealer (the only one in our state) started playing stupid used car salesmen tricks on us, like showing us only the monthly payment but not what they were giving us for our trade. We repeatedly asked for ALL the numbers, but they were reluctant. Our salesmen kept playing the "I'll ask my boss" game.

After giving up, we decided to give BMW a try and drove the 330i. The G35 might have more top end power, but the 330i has seamless power everywhere. It felt more solid through corners, and the brakes were easier to modulate. Both seats were full power with adjustable lumbar, and much more comfortable. On top of it all, BMW gave us 3k more for our trade, and didn't play any games. They gave us a printout of all the numbers comparing leasing vs buying, with trade allowance, down, monthly, rates, etc.

Price-wise, the G35 is hard to beat, especially when comparing it to the 325i. On paper, the G35 has it beat. It's the intangible things that BMW excels in. I think the 325i is the better balanced car. Better handling and road feel, better interior (with sport package, anyway).

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Jared_B - Your opinion of the G35 is very close to mine. I own an '00 BMW 323ci and was looking to get rid of my Cherokee for another car. I was very impressed with what I read about the G35 and took it for a test drive. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. The car had lots of power but I didn't care for the interior or the handling, not to mention that the brakes were very touchy. The solid feeling that I get every time I drive the BMW just isn't there in the G35. To me, it doesn't feel any different than a Nissan. I drove the Audi A4 3.0 and liked it much better than the G35 even though it doesn't have as much power. The G35 is a good car for the price but it just wasn't for me.

I can only recommend that you drive all of the cars that you're interested in and choose the one that YOU like best. Just make sure to drive a car that's equipped like the one you want because a car with the Sport Package drives very differently than one without it.

10. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Thanks guys! I'm going to have to take another test drive with the G35, BMW and also the Altima. I've ruled out the IS300. Little cramped and clostraphobic feeling to me.
    I was very impressed by the G35's power and handling. Not overly impressed or overly unhappy with the seat comfort, though the drivers side seat controls did dig into my leg. Driving 90 miles a day to and from work, I really need to pay extra attention to comfort which the 325i definitely had an edge in.
    Looks-wise, I like them all. Something about the look of the G35 I happen to like a bit more than the rest, but I've always liked the BMW too. I think I'm going to take a look at the 330i as well...it's a couple thousand higher in price than the others but possibly doable with the wifes approval. Though, I don't want her to be too happy with the new car [​IMG]
    Back to the dealerships.

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a 2000 A4 2.8 and I've been pretty happy with it. I definitely suggest that you take a look at the current 3.0. All Wheel Drive really is very nice to have in the snow and rain.

13. jeff morris

jeff morris Agent

I've had my G35 since April and couldn't be happier with it. It's perfect for my needs. Comfortable, quiet, and REAL FAST!!! The IS300 was just too small -NO back seat, just like the 325i -and under powered, compared to the Infiniti. I did like the on wheel shifters tho..but there are too many of them around here. The G35 fits me(6'2) the wife(small) and the kids(6'4 & 5'9) no problem along with a decent amount of luggage. Gas mileage has been real good-around 22 city, 27hwy, but I think I could do better on the highway, if I could keep it under 85!!! The car seems to hit its sweetspot around 80mph and just depressing the pedal with your toe pressure puts you at 100 within seconds.
    The tiptronic tranny I"ve been getting used to, usually just leave it in D, as the engine revs SOOOO fast, you hit the limiter before you can hit the shifter!![​IMG] Its scary the first few times you put your foot in it. On the way home from the dealer I decided to take the long way home on the parkway. Well there were some cars in the left lane and I moved around them on the right(I know-bad) and when I looked at the speedo, I was doing 110!!! Sheesh!!!The power is just turbine smooth and no noise at speed, yet utterly stable. Amazing traction in all conditions.
    Now with all this power and speed, you need brakes to match. Well, they will practically pull your eyeballs from the sockets, the binders are racecar quality. The only thing that comes close to these are my buds' 911 Turbo brakes. Only small problem is the brakes tend to be VERY sensitive in traffic, kinda grabby, but I'm sure the dealer can fix that.
    Good stereo, but the sub is ehhh. I'd like to replace it with a real sub, but for a factory system, it's OK. The CD changer swallows 6 discs, so thats nice and the small steering wheel(nice) has decent controls on it. I wish there was a dial for the volume somewhere, the paddle for it is kinda slow.
    Service is amazing. They just about bl*w you whenyou bring it in for anything. "Would you like it washed and detailed(no charge) after your oil change?" Gee, thanks!
    Yeah, I guess you can tell I sort of like it[​IMG]

14. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

I've owned BMW's for the last 5 years. 1st was a 328 then I just sold my 540. I test drove a new 330 stick then the G35 sedan. The 330 is so smooth through the gears and feels much faster. The G35 is fast but doesn't pull through the whole RPM range like the BMW.
    Even so I'm getting a G35. It's a lot of car for the money and I sold the last 3 series because of the rear seat room and small trunk. I actually ordered it over the internet and it's coming from Texas [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of my new car ... should have been here tonight but the weather slowed it down.
    New G35 on the way

15. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Jared I was just wondering if you weren't happy with the X5? I absolutely love that vechile [​IMG]

16. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The G35 offers a lot of car for the money, especially if you don't check off too many boxes on the options list. Considering that a loaded Altima or Maxima is about $30,000 and the G35 with leather and the sport package can be had for about the same price, I question why anyone would want either of the Nissans, especially the Altima as it is a significantly cheaper car than the Maxima, as both are FWD.

On paper, the G35 seems to be the best car in its class and price range. Because you're getting a mid-sized vehicle with the power of a V8, one could argue that you're getting a 540i for the price of a 325i, which is quite appealing. When you actually see and drive the G35 and the 325i, however, you see the real difference. The G35 is a fine car and Infiniti is close on the heals of BMW, but they've got a way to go. The G35 is bigger, more powerful, and is probably more reliable and has friendlier dealers, but the 325i is better in every other way: handling, braking, looks, build quality, fit and finish, refinement, and resale. Also, the way the BMW feels as if it's an extension of the driver cannot be understood except by a test drive.

Of course the 325i is a noticeably smaller vehicle, especially on the inside, than the G35, which may be a big consideration, and if you start adding popular options to the 325i the price begins to soar. If you want more power and have an extra $5000 to spend (less if you get a number of options on the 325i, as some of them are standard on the 330i) the 330i might be a better fit for you than the 325i. Also, the 330i is just as fast, if not faster than the G35. The 325i, however, certainly isn’t anemic.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the only complaint I have about the new altima is the interior, nissan really should have worked a little more on it, it just feels cheap. I wouldn't consider an altima until about now, nissan has a few first year bugs to work out usually (I have a 98 altima, 1st year of the 2nd gens and it has plenty of "quirks") That and the price has nearly doubled [​IMG]

18. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I just got the January 2003 Car & Driver yesterday (12/5/02)and they have a big review on the G35 coupe. Have yet to read it all but scanning it over; it seems very positive.

19. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Thought I'd say thanks for the additional input and give an update. The wife and I are currently discussing (kind word for arguing) which car to buy. After input from you guys I went back to take a second look at BMW and I gotta say, I'm sold on the 330i. That's a helluva car!

My wife however is sold on the G35 which is funny because I was leaning toward that car to start with and she was saying lets stick with Lexus because we have one and are happy with it.

I don't know what's wrong with my wife. She's never shown an interest in cars before and now suddenly she's dragging me to the dealerships.

I should just buy whatever she wants because whatever it is she'll be driving it in under a year anyway.

20. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

If you do decide to go for the 330i, the sport package is a must. The wheels, tires, body kit, steering wheel, and sport seats transform the automobile. I'd also recommend getting the leatherette interior, because it's far more durable than the rather cheap leather BMW uses in the 3-Series (it's better leather than the Japanese and Americans (except for Cadillac) use, but it won't be mistaken for Connelly). It will also save you $1250, and 99% of people think the leatherette is leather.

Good luck on whatever you and your wife decide.