What's new

Infinite Baffle Subwoofer - Wow!!! (1 Viewer)

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
then factor in the room nulls, then equalize the frequency response to get a smooth curve and your headroom could wind up in the craper. As a matter of fact, the 8 driver output of 121dB is reflective a SPL measurement taken at 1 meter (about three feet). Now each doubling of distance from the source reduces the measured output by 3dB (somebody correct me if I off base here), so at 4 meters (about 12 feet) which is a reasonable distance from the drivers to seating position, your down 6dB and back down to 115dB (at 20hz).
115dB (at 20hz) unequalized could result in 3-4dB loss in headroom when the FR is equalized. Add back in the possible room gain and you’re capable of 115dB from an 8 AV15 diver IB setup. I do not believe this is "new math" but more a function of physics. I haven't taken the time to double check the accuracy of the modeling software used, but am confident enough to say its close enough. I don’t mean to rain on anybody parade here. Chris, you asked a question, I answered it. I even gave a tangible example which appears to have sent a couple here into quite a tizzy. Other than the hole in the wall issue for some, I don’t see any other downside to IB’s.
Maybe that 15hz thing is the fly in the pie. Change your low cut filter to 20hz or 25hz and crank up the juice on a four drive setup (or two if it suits you) and reclaim output at the cost of extension. Model an IB and tell me what your findings are. Love to see what you come up with. I guess the only thing left to decide is “what would it take to get reference levels from an IB setup”. In the words a famous owl… The world may never know.

Chris Brock

Second Unit

ok let me try to explain where i was getting some of my ideas.............. the figures in this quote are real world actual numbers. Kevin's IB setup consists of 2 15" Dayton DVC's and a 250w PE amp. when i model this same setup in Win IsdPro i get an output of 104.3db at 16hz. so according that those readings there is a difference of 3.7 db between the Isd number and the actual real world output. now if i up the number of subs to 8 DVC's and use the same 125wrms per sub average then i am getting an output in Isd of 117.4 @ 16hz. i then add the 3.7db correction and i am at 121.1db at 16hz in the same real world scnerio that Kevin's results came from.

am i doing somehting wrong here?

edit: modeling and debating sub alignments is a blast! :)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
THX's 115dB LFE reference level is measured using pink noise and a 80Hz XO point, not fixed frequency sine waves.

As far as I can tell they don't specify a listening distance.

So IMO it wouldn't be very difficult for even a modest IB sub to perform to that 'reference' standard.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Keith, I live in Litchfield Park, which is way West of you. You are more than welcome to listen to my new toy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.