What's new

Infinite Baffle Sub Project (1 Viewer)

Matt Obie

Grip
I've researched the web for all the info I can find on Infinite baffle subs.
I’ve decided to go ahead and build one. I am looking at buying the Bash 500 watt plate amp from Parts Express along w/ either 2 or 4, 15 inch woofers from Parts Express the woofers I am looking at are the Dayton Loudspeaker IB series subwoofer. DAYTON IB385-8 15" IB SUBWOOFER Part Number 295-455. (Is there anything better for the money?) for $110 each.
Would I be better off buying something else (Subs/amp) for the money?
I will be selling my SVS 20-39 PC–Plus subwoofer. It just doesn’t have the kick I am looking for.

Would the 500 watt Bash plate amp be able to drive 4 of the 15” woofers or can I only drive 2 woofers w/ it?

How would I wire up either 2 or 4 woofers to the amp?
I can’t find anyone who tells you how to do this on there web page.

I am putting this in my basement Home theater in the false wall that my TV is built flush into.
The room is 14’ x 25’ w/ an “L” shape 14’ x 14’ at the back of the room.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give me.

Matt

Brent_S

Second Unit
The 15" IB is a single coil 8 ohm driver. You could either wire each pair in series and then parallel the pairs for a net 8 ohm load or wire each pair in parallel and then series the pairs, still an 8 ohm load. The 500 watt BASH is 500 watts in to 4 ohms. The other PE 500 watt amp (300-806), is 500 into 4 ohms and 273 watts into 8 ohm so figure roughly the same for the BASH. That's 70 watts per driver, give or take a couple of watts, but it looks like a pretty good match given PE's recommendation of 100-140 watt limit in an IB config.

The best source for IB project advice is probably "The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled": http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi

wbs

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
In your case I would consider using a pro stereo amplifier like the Nady XA900. Not that you need that much power, but it seems to be a better deal for the money.

I use a plate amp with my IB and I can tell you that 250 watts with 4 woofers like these will get very loud. And the plate amps do have some nice features like fanless heatsink cooling, phase control and subsonic filter. But I only chose the plate amp route because I already had it sitting around not being used.

I also highly recommend checking out the link Brent posted. Specifically, read through the FAQ and the "Generic info for designing, building and installing your IB"

Darren_T

Second Unit
The suggestion on checking out the cult is definately a good one, tons of IB specific info and help.

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

My current plan is to use the same sort of IB and components as you. I am actually not sure whether to use 2 or 4 drivers for this sub, and my plan is to build with 2 but build it so that it can be expandable to 4. I'm doing a rectangular manifold, so I'll lay it out for 2 drivers per side, and populate the front ones only.

My plan is to use the 250W PE plate amp with 2 drivers in parallel for a 4 ohm load. Then if I add two more drivers, I also add another plate amp. There would be some work to get the output from each amp equalized, but once that is done, it's done. This would be the best bang for the buck sub, IMHO.

Maybe it is more difficult to equalize the amps than I think it is, but it seems like it can be done. The sub works in a limited frequency range, so using an SPL meter will only take so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks