Infinite Baffle or AS15

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_u, Jan 15, 2002.

1. kevin_u

kevin_u Agent

Hi all,
    This will be for HT only. I'm wanting low and kind of loud.
    The room is 15Wx8Hx22D. There is room on the otherside of the front wall of the theater, which is 12x27, my woodshop.
    I can place a infinite baffle manifold anywhere on the front wall, from what I've read center is ideal.
    I will use a Adcom 555 amp for awhile, eventually I'll sell it and get a larger pro amp. Also get a BFD.
    For the IB I am thinking about using 2-4 tempest or 4 shivas(Mini-me).
    Not ever hearing an infinite baffle design, I would like to get thoughts on the differences between the IB and AS-15 using a 1503.
    The cost of these two designs is going to roughly the same.
    Another question, would there be any benifit of stereo IB placed directly by each speaker using 2 tempest VS single with 4 tempest?
    I kind of like the idea of the IB, in that when friends come over they are going to say "What the hell is that on your wall"
    Thanks, Kevin

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

This should have just been a email, since I'm the only one that can compare the two.

The AS-15 is the best sounding alignment I've heard that uses either the HE-15 or BPD-1503. And is the best 'portable' (military definition) sub I've heard. But IMO even the 'small' 4-Shiva has the IB's has better sound quality.

Since you have a proper place for an IB, that's the way to go. Make an in-wall 20" cube plenum/outlet box centered between the mains, use 4 Tempests. Both you and your friends will be slack jawed.

Do a placement test with an existing sub to make sure there aren't standing wave issues.

3. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

ive no experience with the other, but my IB has been wonderful...

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I so wish I was in your situation Kevin, 2 or more Tempests would be going up so quick [​IMG]

5. kevin_u

kevin_u Agent

Thanks for the replies,
    I'm going to step up to the plate and take a big swing. Next week I'll order 4 Tempest. This weekend I'll cut a hole in the wall and build a box.
    Looking forward to joining the Cult of the Infintely Baffled!
    Thomas, on Adire Audio's website there is a picture of your 12 Shivas looking down into the box. I thought to myself, I wonder if he's ever dropped anything in there?
    Kevin

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Do you know what your going to power them with and how you are going to wire them?
    10L of displacement [​IMG]

7. kevin_u

kevin_u Agent

Dustin,
    not sure yet how I'm going to wire them. Maybe the VC's in series and each pair in parallel to give me a 8ohm load to each channel of my Adcom 555? Any thought?
    Down the road I'll sell the Adcom and pick up a pro-amp, as well as BFD.
    Kevin

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

No haven't dropped anything/anyone in the hole yet [​IMG]
    The big IB is powered by a 150 watt/channel @ 8ohm pro amp. It's wired to that there are 2-3 ohm loads. The amp has the potential to deliver more than 300 watts/channel. But the 12 drivers makes the IB so efficient that the amp has never been run more than 1/2 power, and that quakes the entire house

9. kevin_u

kevin_u Agent

Thomas,
    I need to mount the box as close to the floor as possible. How much space should I allow between the driver and the floor?
    I Have a FPTV, the screen is 34" above the floor, the center speaker is on a floor stand. Should I be concerned about the center speaker/stand getting in the way? Would I be better off mounting the manifold slightly off-center? I've tried mounting the center speaker above the screen, thought it blended much better below.
    Thanks again,
    Kevin