What's new

Infernal Affairs - HK BD (1 Viewer)

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
:eek:

Oh my god. Someone tell me this is a joke!

Dammit Weinstein will you start releasing your Dragon Dynasty label already.

Looks like I'll have to get a Blu-ray player faster than I thought now.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Ok, I just took a look at all of the websites I usually order HK, Korean, and Japanese movies from and none of them have this on their sites. It's a little odd for something that's supposed to come out on July 9th.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is actually coming out?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nothing about region coding one way or the other, either.

And, yeah, it would be really nice if the Weinsteins would put their Dragon Dynasty stuff out on HD DVD... Although this makes me wonder if they can't until they come out in HD across the Pacific, to keep people from importing the American version.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's reportedly coded Region A. I'm curious how the quality will be on this. I wonder what the "Made In E.U." is all about on the jacket art? That combined with the AVC encoding makes me think that this disc is being produced by one of the major post-houses in Europe. If the quality is good, then I'll be all over this. This is a much better film than The Departed, IMHO.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Very cool! :emoji_thumbsup: Hopefully this'll lead the way for more HK films on BD especially the John Woo and Ringo Lam classics.

I'm getting tired of waiting for Weinstein to get off their ass. They just seem content to just give us the latest shitty Horror remakes. I wouldn't be surprised if the recently announced Kill Bill deluxe set doesn't even make it to HD.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

That would really piss me off. I know these guys don't owe us anything and they need to release when the "time is right", but I really would love that Kill Bill set in HD. And there is no way I'll purchase it in SD.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

From what I understand, Kill Bill is owned by Miramax is and therefore Bluray exclusive. The Kill Bill deluxe recut edition (or whatever they are going to call it) is owned by the Weinsteins and thus will be HD-DVD exclusive. And that's the edition that people are waiting for. We've been waiting for 3+ years since it was first announced!

Cheers,

Jason

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure if it was your intent or not, but you make it sound as if no one is excited about the prospect of owning the theatrical cuts in HD too. I for one am, and I have to admit I share the same aprehension about Weinstein as Jim does. I get the impression that given their small catalog of films Weinstein is more apt to milk a title like this for all it is worth on SD before going HD with it.

Edited to add:

In fact, I'll cite Young Hannibal as a prime example of why I think that fear is justified. Additionally, I just noticed that The Weinstein Co. has zero future HD titles announced at this time.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure where you get that conclusion. They've been pretty good about new releases coming out in HD, though generally in bunches rather than day-and-date. I think a more likely issue is the niche appeal of most of Weinstein's catalog releases. A Venn diagram showing "Hong Kong Action Fans" and "HD DVD owners" is likely going to show a pretty tiny intersection, probably not (yet) worth the expense of replicating Sha Po Lang on the format.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Paul,

I would love to see the original films on HD too, don't get me wrong, but I'm more interested in seeing the new cut. And from the discussion over in the movie thread or the home thread, it seems that's what's getting people excited too. Again, this cut was promised a long time ago. The anticipation has been building for it.

Cheers,

Jason

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
While I'd love to have a set that includes the theatrical and re-edit it's not going to happen so whichever comes to HD/BD first is the one to get my money.

If the the theatrical editions get announced by Disney on BD there's no way in Hell I'll pass it up and wait around for Weinstein Co to pull their thumb out of their ass.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm curious. How do the Weinsteins get to recut a film that is owned by Miramax. Wouldn't they need Disney's permission?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The Weinsteins retained the rights to the re-cut (the re-cut only) of Kill Bill when they left Miramax.

Miramax retained the rights to the theatrical cuts of Kill Bill 1 & 2.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay. Thanks. Seems like a bit of a strange arrangement for Disney to agree to considering their history when it comes to ownership rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks