What's new

Infamous Jaws Rip-Off "The Last Shark" might be coming to Blu. (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Vic Pardo said:
He didn't have to travel far. His scenes in 1990: THE BRONX WARRIORS were shot in the Bronx, Morrow's native borough.

And GREAT WHITE was filmed in Florida, wasn't it?
According to IMDB The Last Shark (Great White) was shot in Malta and Savannah, Georgia.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I saw this movie when I grabbed the DVD of it, and I thought it was shark poo :D .. better than Up From the Depths though :)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Speaking of The Bronx Warriors, there are at least three possible reasons why Vic Morrow did not dub himself in English in that film. I tend to think the 1st possibility was the reason.

1) He died before he could have done any English dubbing; the English dub for The Bronx Warriors was prepared right after he died.

2) He was unavailable, due to scheduling conflicts.

3) It was not part of his contract to dub himself.

Italian films were typically shot with no sound, and The Last Shark and The Bronx Warriors were among them. Dubbing in Italian films with English speaking actors would definitely be a hit or miss, with some, or none of said English performers dubbing themselves in English.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I didn't guess it might be on youtube? Damn! The Last PixelShark. :lol:

Spaghetti Shark.

Wow JAWS 3, is like the CodFarther compared to this.

Oh this one less SharkPixles its got more bite at 360p

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Wow lots of other Shark feast films.

Lots of JAWS clones

:blink: Swamp Sharks lol

Is someone taking the piss with this title, Jurassic Shark.

Well at least the Shark vs skier is better with tense John Williams score.

Smile you son of KABOOM!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I can't believe they got all bent out of shape over this. lol Did they sue EVERYBODY who made this kind of movie at the time...? To quote Jack Lemmon from Out of Towners " I'm suing everybody and I don't care if I'm in court all year!!!"
While I'm first in line to side with The Little Guy over the Big Studios, even I have to admit this was pretty egregious. Most shamless Jaws ripoffs only steal the high level concept: giant monster eats people. Great White, on the other hand, stole some pretty spcific plot points from Jaws and Jaws 2: helecopter being eaten, regatta, red buoy marker instead of yellow barrels marking the shark's position, mayor keeps the beaches open - and that's just what I could remember off the top of my head from the last time I watched. It's a very sue-worthy flick.
Ejanss said:
Over on Blu-ray.com they've gotten away from sentimental discussions of 80's movies, and more onto the specifics of the "small company"--
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=242991
Whose ownership grounds and claims of "restoration work" are a bit questionable to say the least, especially when he's taking money preorders for them.
Damn. I mean I knew that it was a long ways out and that the potential for failure is substantial, but I was hoping for the best. I preordered before he switched to doing invoices (meaning I was charged right away). He's offering refunds and invoices should this come to pass - I think I might go that route. I'll buy the disc, but I'd like something more than the 45 day protection.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered this via e-mail. We'll see what happens.Btw. Why would Universal "sue" some Blu-ray release of an old film? I'm pretty sure that you can make movies about killer sharks, Universal doesn't own that concept. And these Italians copied pretty much every idea and genre/sub genre back in the 1970s-1980s. Yes, also killer sharks.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well, Warner has kept an official release of ABBY from happening even though it's one of the less offensive in regards to what it rips off. These rulings never made much sense and honestly, it always seemed like money into some judge's pocket might have helped. ABBY would get pulled from theaters yet something like BEYOND THE DOOR would become a major hit. Either way, I'm sure Warner has made enough money from THE EXORCIST so ABBY not being out there is a shame. I'd say the same thing on this film if Universal tried to stop a release.

Joe D'Amato also made another JAWS rip with DEEP BLOOD, although it's the worst of what I've seen. CRUEL JAWS isn't all that bad.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem also is that the most successful/best known films are remembered after all these years and all the films that are similar and came after them are labeled as "rip offs". So if someone is doing a film about the killer sharks today, people say "oh, it's a Jaws rip off". If you do a film about the girl that is possessed today, people say "oh, it's The Exorcist rip off". Etc.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Michael Elliott said:
Well, Warner has kept an official release of ABBY from happening even though it's one of the less offensive in regards to what it rips off. These rulings never made much sense and honestly, it always seemed like money into some judge's pocket might have helped. ABBY would get pulled from theaters yet something like BEYOND THE DOOR would become a major hit. Either way, I'm sure Warner has made enough money from THE EXORCIST so ABBY not being out there is a shame. I'd say the same thing on this film if Universal tried to stop a release.

Joe D'Amato also made another JAWS rip with DEEP BLOOD, although it's the worst of what I've seen. CRUEL JAWS isn't all that bad.
I'm useless with abbreviations, what is ABBY. ?
Jari K said:
I think the problem also is that the most successful/best known films are remembered after all these years and all the films that are similar and came after them are labeled as "rip offs".
That's true and i remember Ghoulies in the eighties was obviously a rip off of Gremlins.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
ABBY is not an acronym -- it's the name of the main character who gets possessed by the devil. William (BLACULA) Marshall plays the exorcist. It was directed by William Girdler, who later would helm THE MANITOU and died in a helicopter accident shortly after that film's release.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I asked Quentin Tarantino, who is a huge fan of GREAT WHITE/THE LAST SHARK, if, when Universal was a partner on INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, he had inquired with them about lifting the ban on the film. He said indeed he did investigate the matter, and yes, it is still banned; he didn't quite understand the legal specifics, but said in effect the reason Universal was enforcing the embargo was as a favor to Steven Spielberg. It sounds weird, I doubt Spielberg even cares (especially since he was a big fan of Joe Dante's PIRANHA), but it would appear they think suppressing the film is making him happy.Which means that any effort to release the film in America without cooperation from Universal is 100% ILLEGAL.I suppose if Spielberg himself were to call the Black Tower and say it's okay to let it back out, they would. But he's kinda busy these days...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
FoxyMulder said:

That's true and i remember Ghoulies in the eighties was obviously a rip off of Gremlins.
Trolls too.. long string.

And what about Mac & Me? E.T. with the goodness and magic ripped out.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Radioman970 said:
And what about Mac & Me? E.T. with the goodness and magic ripped out.
A supposedly lovable alien named after a cheeseburger whose life force just happens to be the of the exact same chemical make-up of Coca-Cola lands in California and befriends a 12-year-old boy. Nope, no subliminal advertising or plagiarism there. None whatsoever. ;) And they promised they'd be back, the lying sleazeballs! 26 years later, and it still hasn't happened, even though the film's director is somehow still working. :D

11.jpg

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Which means that any effort to release the film in America without cooperation from Universal is 100% ILLEGAL."Sorry, but I need a bit more info than a little chat with QT.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
MatthewA said:
A supposedly lovable alien named after a cheeseburger whose life force just happens to be the of the exact same chemical make-up of Coca-Cola lands in California and befriends a 12-year-old boy. Nope, no subliminal advertising or plagiarism there. None whatsoever. ;) And they promised they'd be back, the lying sleazeballs! 26 years later, and it still hasn't happened, even though the film's director is somehow still working. :D

11.jpg
Excellent post. I have to be honest, being huge fan of E.T. to this day (almost 50) I've never been able to stomach M&M all the way thru to see the above big fat lying moment! That's terrific..!

I didn't know that was the same director as Ice Pirates. One of my Top 3 favorite pirate themed guilty pleasures of all time (along with The Pirate Movie featuring Kristy McNichol who I just found out yesterday was a lesbian...!! and Yellowbeard with Graham Chapman! He was gay and I'm okay with that though... . but damnit, Kristy NooooOOOOOooo!! ).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Not that I'm an expert or anything, but the guy selling the disc seems to be on the up-and-up. He was even nice enough to refund my preordered-a-year-in-advance purchase and set me up with an invoice for later. While I wont say that I've never been taken, this seems like the actions of a square dealer instead of someone selling shady bootlegs off the back of a truck.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Is this one of the shark films that during the filming somebody was actually eaten by a shark...or am I thinking of that Burt Reynold's movie...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reggie W said:
Is this one of the shark films that during the filming somebody was actually eaten by a shark...or am I thinking of that Burt Reynold's movie...
They always blame the shark but i think it was actually William Perry aka The Fridge before he became famous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks