What's new

Infamous Jaws Rip-Off "The Last Shark" might be coming to Blu. (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Never heard of Enzo G. Castellari's The Last Shark (AKA Great White, AKA L'ultimo squalo), starring James Franciscus and Vic Morrow? I'm Not surprised, seeing how it so shamelessly rips off Jaws and Jaws 2 that Universal sued within a week to keep it out of the theater. So unless you caught it during it's tiny theatrical run back in 1981 (or a Castellari fan), you probably missed it.

As far as bad movies go, it's actually pretty good. Yeah it's shamelessly derivative, but Castellari's a pretty solid director who know his shit. Some time ago RetroVision Entertainment somehow cut a deal allowing the film to finally see domestic release. And now, a Blu Ray might be in the works - if the audience is there. From their facebook:

LAST SHARK BLU UPDATE: Our partner has been given a hefty price for licensing the film for Blu-ray, but, if the support is truly there, it can happen. Share this picture and comment if you want to see "The Last Shark" on Blu-ray for the first time ever for its 35th anniversary! This cover is mock-up made to help the cause, and might just end up being the final art, if the fans love it!
10390496_716263251769506_4993318319824641258_n.jpg

So yes, if you like the bad movies, you could do worse. . . .

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea that this was available on DVD. I had seen bootlegs at comic book shows over the years but I figured that Universal had it so wrapped up in legal red tape that a North American release would never happen.

And I gotta say that this movie's blending of live and special effect shark is seamless. :D

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
What was Vic Morrow doing, starring in cheap Italian films like this, just before he died? In which none of them, as far as I know, used his original voice in English (meaning another actor dubbed him in English).

Were film and TV roles here in his native America really starting to dry up?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I had no idea that this was available on DVD. I had seen bootlegs at comic book shows over the years but I figured that Universal had it so wrapped up in legal red tape that a North American release would never happen.
Yeah, I was shocked when I found an official DVD release. I've had my copy from Sweden for years now, but an actual domestic copy I thought would never happen. And yet, here we are.

And yes, the effects are the best giant fiberglass shark head I've ever seen! Almost as convincing as Vic's scottish/irish/engish accent!
darkrock17 said:
I've heard about this film for awhile now, and I'd like to see it.
It's well worth checking out. It's not a great film - about as good as The Inglorious Bastards or 1990: The Bronx Warriors - but Castellari knows how to deliver a solid, entertaining product. Its a good candidate for your B-Movies and Beer night with the boys. . .

Vahan_Nisanain said:

It might be the same reason that Fred Williamson stayed in Italy for so long. The money was good and they treated their American film stars like royalty. Perhaos Vic's star had lost just enough luster stateside that the lure of the Italian productions kept him there.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Who has the US rights to this film? I think Shout Factory's Scream Factory could give this film a good release, Shout/Scream never fail to impress in their releases.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I saw this thread and the first thing I checked was the post date - I've been hearing of this release "coming soon" for a couple of years now. I first read about it on DVD Drive-In (some Italian company was supposed to release it on DVD). Since the thread was just started may I ask what the source is for this new information? I'm interested in grabbing a copy but I don't feel like playing these limited edition games. Thanks

EDIT: I re-read Tony J Case's post about the DVD being available. Does anyone have this and can comment on the PQ?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
EDIT: I re-read Tony J Case's post about the DVD being available. Does anyone have this and can comment on the PQ?
From all reports, the quality of the disc looks pretty good. Here's a 'trailer' the company put together:

While I have no idea how this tiny company managed to cut a deal with Universal, this appears not to be some slap-dash public domain bootleg, with the AV quality to match.

***edit***
Just checked the facebook and apparently the Blu-Ray is a go!
The overwhelming support has paid off people, pre-order THE LAST SHARK: LIMITED SPECIAL 35th ANNIVERSARY EDITION now! Limited to only 1000 copies, no more! Spread this link like crazy and tell everyone you know. We ship worldwide!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this at the theater in 1981 under its US title "Great White". I remember liking it almost as much as the 2 Jaws movies but have not seen it since then.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I imagine the only way this has been able to be released in the US is via such a small, unknown company and limited to so few copies. Swimming under the radar, if you will.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I can't believe they got all bent out of shape over this. lol Did they sue EVERYBODY who made this kind of movie at the time...? To quote Jack Lemmon from Out of Towners " I'm suing everybody and I don't care if I'm in court all year!!!"

Anyway, I'll take it! I don't even know if I've seen it before but I'll take it! The images and art here is fantastically bad! I love it! Somebody phone MST3K people and tell them they need to reform just to do this one.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The shark looks a bit fake, quick someone get George Lucas involved, we can replace all that footage with realistic CGI.

It actually looks quite entertaining to me, i wonder if they overdid the grain "management" or not.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
FoxyMulder said:
The shark looks a bit fake, quick someone get George Lucas involved, we can replace all that footage with realistic CGI.

It actually looks quite entertaining to me, i wonder if they overdid the grain "management" or not.
I know youre poking fun... but at least he could remove where it says "Made in Taiwan" !!! ;)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Big studios blocking little rip-offs of their movies wasn't uncommon in the 70's. Certainly, a movie would have to be more than just trying to ape what was popular, but this was a huge rip-off of JAWS to the point that it's practically a remake.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
bgart13 said:
I imagine the only way this has been able to be released in the US is via such a small, unknown company and limited to so few copies. Swimming under the radar, if you will.
Over on Blu-ray.com they've gotten away from sentimental discussions of 80's movies, and more onto the specifics of the "small company"--
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=242991
Whose ownership grounds and claims of "restoration work" are a bit questionable to say the least, especially when he's taking money preorders for them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
bgart13 said:
Big studios blocking little rip-offs of their movies wasn't uncommon in the 70's. Certainly, a movie would have to be more than just trying to ape what was popular, but this was a huge rip-off of JAWS to the point that it's practically a remake.
They'd do it themselves if they could get away with it.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If anything the makers of this film should sue Universal. JAWS 3 rips off the ending of this movie including a character that is exactly same as what we see here. Even bits and pieces of this film can be found in JAWS: THE REVENGE.

It's a pretty good movie with the over-the-top and craziness exploitation that you'd expect from an Italian rip-off.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Vahan_Nisanain said:
What was Vic Morrow doing, starring in cheap Italian films like this, just before he died? In which none of them, as far as I know, used his original voice in English (meaning another actor dubbed him in English).

He didn't have to travel far. His scenes in 1990: THE BRONX WARRIORS were shot in the Bronx, Morrow's native borough.

And GREAT WHITE was filmed in Florida, wasn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks