What's new

Inexpensive volume control... (1 Viewer)

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
I recently purchased the Integra DTC-9.4. I like the unit and I'll hopefully get around to writing my thoughts for the board. However, it does have one 'flaw.' The Zone 2 output is a fixed volume signal (instead of variable). Consequently, I need a way to control the volume for the second zone. Any thoughts? Perhaps a clean but cheap preamp?

BTW, is it me or does this sort of implementation make little sense? :angry:

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Anyone have any suggestions? How 'bout a nice clean, cheap preamp I could buy?

I know there's some Creek passive pre-amps with remote controls, and a Creeks with just one input and output, but I don't know if there's one unit with all of those.
However, the defunct Chase Technology company used to make a remote-controlled passive volume control called the RLC-1. It might run about $20 on ebay.

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Hmmm, that sounds like a really stellar idea. I'll take a look for one on eBay! Thanks!

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Finding the RLC-1 might be a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. Anyone else have alternative suggestions or know where I can pick one of these babies up?

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Consequently, I need a way to control the volume for the second zone. Any thoughts? Perhaps a clean but cheap preamp?

BTW, is it me or does this sort of implementation make little sense?
“Second zone” is a catch-all term that can be implemented many different ways. It can be as simple as a second set of speakers that gets the same signal as the L/R fronts. Some receivers that have provisions for extra surround speakers let you instead use those amps for a second zone.

The Integra merely provides a line-level A/V signal to the second zone. If that’s the case, it makes perfect sense that it would be a fixed volume, especially if it has the capability to use a different source than what is being used at the main receiver. For instance, if someone is watching a DVD in the second zone and you are playing a CD in the first zone, they probably don’t want their volume to suddenly rise when your favorite song comes on.

Thus a fixed line-level send is supposed to feed a second stand-alone system – pre-amp/amp, or perhaps integrated amp and speakers – without having to buy a second set of source components as well.

Bottom line – if a second zone feature is important to you, you need to make sure you know exactly how it works, so you can be sure it will fit your needs.

Since the second zone is usually less important, there’s no reason to get extravagant. I’d look for a remote-controlled integrated amp or receiver, to cut down component clutter (you typically don’t want a stack of gear in the second zone). If you already have an amp, do a search for “pre amp” on e-Bay, and you can pick and choose from at least a couple hundred hits.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks