What's new

Inexpensive Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Dave Weisbord

Auditioning
So over the past week I have been able to obtain a nice beginning for my home theater on the cheap: Denon 1601 (at Good Guys for $199); and a demo-out-of-box set of Energy Take 5s (for $299). So now to the subwoofer.
I'm sure the question has been asked a bunch of times, but any recommendations for an inexpensive sub. The Energy sub which matches the Take 5s is $299. Anything better in that range? Anything as good for less? Any deals out there I should know about?
BTW, Good Guys is today advertising a Polk 8" sub for $199. Should I consider that?
Thanks,
Dave

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I would definitely NOT get the 8" Polk. Their 10" is nice, but the 8" sounds really anemic and you won't be happy with it.
Of course... you could always kidnap a midget and force him at gunpoint to beat a bass drum in time with the movie.
laugh.gif

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i know there is a sony sub that comes pretty well recommended. i don't remember the model, but i think it may be this one:
Link Removed
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Craig W

Second Unit
Circuit City (yes I know, I know) is closing out on their Velodyne CT line. I purchased the CT100 (10") for $329 plus you could take advantage of their 12 month no interest deal.
Velodyne is discontinuing the CT line which is being replaced by the CHT line.
There are two versions of the CT100 available. The older version has 100W continuous/250W dynamic power amp and the newer version has a 150W continuous/375W dynamic power amp.
I got the older version. It is a little better controlled output wise. At www.audioreview.com , one reviewer said the newer version tends to oscillate when the amp is approaching its Q point. Really the power difference is so minimal that I doubt that you would notice if you got the smaller version. You have to double the power to get a 3dB loudness increase.
Look into this Velodyne if you want quality at an affordable price.
[Edited last by Craig W on October 05, 2001 at 03:27 PM]

Shane Acker

Agent
i WOULD definitely go to Best Buy or Bestbuy.com and check out the Sony SA-WM40. It is only $149 dollars right now (until Sat. the 6th). It has gotten rave reviews from a lot of people on this forum. It can outperform many subs that cost twice as much.
------------------
Shane Acker
My Home Theater EquipmentList

Vin

Supporting Actor
The bestbuy.com site shows the sony wm40 for $199? Where did you see it for $149?
I was in my local Best Buy last Sunday and they had it on sale for $149.99. Sales usually run Sunday through Saturday so tomorrow (10/6) will probably be the last day of this sale as Shane has pointed out. I've also heard this sub and would agree that for the price it can not be beat.
------------------

Irens Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Find the best price on-line and try to have Sears to match the price. I remember prople here in the forum getting this sub at Sears.
Hope it helps.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
be careful about the sears price-matching thing. there's a thread around here that says sears will now only price-match "approved" sites...which basically have the same prices as the store.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Benny G

Second Unit
I'd recommend the Sony sub as well. I have one, and it sounds just great to me, and I love my bass.
Best Buy has had the sub on sale for quite a long time now. It's not a normal "weekly" sale. I forgot what they were calling it...something like "instant rebate" or something like that.
You can't go wrong buying the Sony from Best Buy. What makes it really nice is how easy it potentially is to get your sub replaced if it ever busts on you.
I bought the additional warranty for $30. I figured it was easily worth it. That way, I don't have to be careful at all about blowing my sub.
wink.gif

Richard Watt

Agent
So, is this rebate still there? I got the new flyer for today and they list the Sony again, but it's still advertised at $199. I am going to check Best Buy probably tomorrow afternoon, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any recent luck with getting it cheaper than the $199 price tag. Thanks.
Richard

Jon K

Auditioning
awww...i saw this thread too late...
i got the Sony SAW-M40 at Best Buy on friday...it's $199.99 - $50 (instant rebate) so they were selling it for $149.99...as far as i know this was nationwide...found out about it here on this forum...they had this instant rebate deal for like the last month...it ended sat 10-6-2001...so it's dead now...
i also get the preferred customer mailings and this past weekend they had their private sale, 10% off any single item so i got the Sony SAW-M40 for $135 plus tax...
$199.99 - $50 (instant rebate) = $149.99
$149.99 - 10% = $134.99
sorry guys, i should have got online to tell you guys...keep looking out for it to go onsale though...best buy usually have similiar sales...

Dale B

Stunt Coordinator
Got the 8 inch velodyne at c.c. for 149 dollars. It was a close out. Great bass for only an 8 incher.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I went by a CC today and picked up a Velodyne CT120 for $339 on closeout.
This should be a nice upgrade from my present 8" Velodyne that is now almost 8 years old.
I'll try it for 30 days and see how I like it but at that price its probably worth keeping for the time being til I can afford a SVS sub.
JohnG :)
------------------

Vin

Supporting Actor
John, $339 for the CT-120 is a steal and the difference between it and your current 8" Velo will be like night and day.....I doubt that you'll be returning it!
Enjoy!
patriot.gif

------------------

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Thanks Vin,
I'm glad to hear I got a good deal. I'm gonna try to hook up both subs and see how that sounds. My 8" Velo has always sounded wonderful, so I am excited to finally be able to hear a real sub (12"er) in action.
Hopefully I will have some free time on Thursday or Friday for the experiment.
Even the CC clerk commented on the savings against the regular price of the CT-120.
JohnG
tongue.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread