Inexpensive sub crossovers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_W, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Hoping someone might have some suggestions. In the basement I have a small 2 channel setup used only for music and games consoles. Powering it all is an old Pioneer that is a workhorse of a receiver. I am currently running a small Infinity BU-2 powered sub that has its own built in low pass crossover.

My problem is that I want to ditch the Infinity and drive a pair of 15" subs I have. I have a fine 600w Fidek pro amp ready to go (no onboard crossover controls), but as I discovered, my Pioneer receiver passes a full range signal out the subwoofer output!

I'm aware of the Paradigm X-20/30, but wondering what other cheap (and more readily available) options there might be for this situation before I start considereing the replacement of the receiver.

Thanks in advance!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Check eBay for old professional crossovers like this one from Ashly. Similar deals can be found on products from brands like Rane and Peavey.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If you just wanted to cut the high freq's from the sub out you could try an F-Mod inline filter. I have one in my parts box at home that's rated at 100 hz I believe. They're pretty cheap and work ok for what they are.

here's one link I found on them

4. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys... Those F-Mods sound perfect for what I need.

5. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Kevin I sent you an email