inexpensive speaker setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by luke_ha, Feb 18, 2004.

1. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

ok i am just starting my home theater and right now i have decided to invest in my projector and reciever right now so i am really looking at spending about 300 on my speakers. withing 6 months i hope to make a large upgrade but i am starting from scratch so really i have nothing right now.
    just looking what my best option is for 300 dollars i would like it to be somewhere around a 5.1 but that is not necessarily imperative right now.

i also listen to a large selection of LPs and CDs.

2. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

If I were you I'd consider buying one pair of speakers to start you off, with the intent of using them in your future "upgrade". For example, you could buy a pair of bookshelves like Axiom M3ti's, then move those to surround duty when you upgrade to a pair of M22ti's and center channel up front. Or Paradigm Titans to start out then Monitor 11's later up front, or Rockets, or Ascends, or...the list get's pretty long....

Good luck.
    Ed

3. PatrickDT

PatrickDT Extra

Yamaha makes a 6.1 setup with a 120 Watt sub called the NS-P436..I THINK, it retails for 300 even, and is really a very decent system for the price. That would be a pretty good way to go for your budget, though try to leave yourself enough room for some decent speaker cable and a sub cable (a real sub cable).

4. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I don't own these, but have heard pretty good reviews about them.

Fluance

Paul

5. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

The JBL NSP1II speaker package and the Dayton 10" 100watt sub from Parts Express is an awesome combo.

6. HongHuynh

HongHuynh Agent

No question about it...Fluance AV-HTB or SX-HTB.

Can't beat the price and the sound is incredibly good.
    I have the AVs but I wish I got the SXs which are supposed to be even better.

7. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

the fluance are the best for the price.

8. Sheldon-m

the fluance are the best for the price. You can't beat it.
    300$ for a 5 speaker setup. go with the sx-htb. i have heard only great things about them. i have the av-f5,
    av-bp2, & av-sc. they are smooth sounding. thats my pick.
    [​IMG]

9. luke_ha

actually i had looked at the fluances but wasnt sure i will definately consider them seriously.

10. Sheldon-m

you are asking for speakers that are for about 300$ and you are seriosly considering them. you don't have many options.
    trust me fluance is a great company with a very good product. i was in the market for axiom and athenas. but i bought the fluance and the other speakers have been put on hold. thats how good they are. there center channel(av-sc)
    is the most smooth and clear sounding speaker i have heard at this price. i am way past the breakin period and it is great. voices are clear and crisp. male and female voice are true. very good for the cost. just blab in'[​IMG]

11. Will Zog

Will Zog Extra

They get little love 'round here, but the HK package at J&R is 5.1 (HKTS 12), $300 plus delivery, and I've been very happy with it as my first setup.

12. HarryPluta

HarryPluta Auditioning

After receiving a new amp, I started looking for a set of speakers. I have a smallish room to work with but I wanted a fuller sound then the satillite systems I had heard. After a lot of listening I've decided I would like to end up with a Klipsch based ssytem, but it is out of our budget to buy 8 new Klipsch speakers all at once (7.1). To get a system in place "short term" I narrowed the list to the Yamaha p-436, the Fluance, and the Onkyo 6.1 systems on sale at Circuit City. I ended up with the Onkyo.

The Yamaha is a decent sounding satillite setup with a pretty good sounding sub-woofer, but I felt it lacked good midrange punch. The Fluance was very tempting, but I am in a small room and could not justify floor speakers, in addition the added cost of a sub woofer was a consideration. The Onkyo seemed like a pretty good compromise between the two sizes. It is not as bright as I would like, but has very solid midrange, and the sub woofer is more then acceptible in a smaller room.

I will be updating over time but for the $199.00 that I paid for the Onkyo's, I can afford to replace them without loosing a lot of value and I am listening to 6.1 sound right now.

Best regards,
    -harry

13. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

14. luke_ha

to sheldon:
    first off no matter how much you spend you should always be critical of everything. At 300 dollars i am not expecting perfection but i am also not expecting crap so yes i will seriously consider them.

It is quite annoying when some scoffs at certain budgets. It is also rude, be more respectful of what people can spend.

15. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I agree with Ed.....get the best PAIR of speakers you can for now, and then add as your budget allows. YOu'll likely be much happier with a good pair of speakers than you will be with an HTIB system for the same price. If you don't see yourself allocating additional funds to your set-up in the future, then go with the HTIB option. And add Cambridge Soundworks to your list. Their 5.1 systems are pretty good for the money. Good luck [​IMG]

16. Daniel_Wang

Daniel_Wang Auditioning

If I could add one piece of advice. Whatever it is you decide to buy first in regards to speakers, be sure of the center channel you plan on buying and build around that. I saved up money for an above avg set of front speakers without considering the center and ended up purchasing a less than good speaker and as a result the voices during movies were drowned out. I had to either raise the level of my center or replace it with a better one. I chose the latter even though it ended up costing me more than origanly planned. Get the speakers you want, but do it right the first time, even if it takes you a little while longer.

Good luck

17. luke_ha

Thanks for all the advice people, I have a bit to think about and research hopefully i will have a setup decided on within the next month. I am in England for the next month and dont plan to buy the stuff till i get back.

18. Mike Littrell

Jolly ole' England eh? Maybe you can get a good price on B&W speakers. BTW, my mom is from Liverpool, home of The Beatles!

19. luke_ha

you cant get a good price on anything here the prices are terrible.

i usually figure about 1.5-1.8 times more expensive for everything.

20. luke_ha

well i bought the fluance sx's spent a little more than i wanted but I feel it is worth it.

Thanx again for the advice.