Inexpensive speaker isolation platform! (less than $5 pair)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_S, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Every pair of speakers I've owned come with spikes that are too short. If you add up the padding and carpet pile thickness, it more than likely exceeds the spike length.
    When you use these short spikes on your speakers, they simply don't do the job they were intended to, they rock back and forth and are not level.
    What I did was purchase 8x8(or they have other sizes)square cement blocks, which BTW match my decor very nicely and some
    large diameter(1/8 dia min.)nails. The nails should be long enough to be driven slightly into the subfloor and extend above the carpet by about 1/2". Use only 3 nails, 1 in back and 2 in front to support the cement block. That way you can easily level the block to give you a good firm reference platform. You don't need to drive the nails deep into the floor, as long as they are positioned firmly they're fine. Place the cement block on top of the 3 nails and push down evenly, distributing your weight evenly will keep from bending the nails and will help level the platform. If you find that the platform is not level, drive the offending nail a little deeper. You may need to go back and forth to level the block, that's why I say at first don't drive the nails very deep into the floor.Then place your speaker on top of the platform and level the speaker spikes and you're good to go. I actually removed the nail heads and ground a point but that is optional. Now your speakers have a firm platform to give their best performance.
    This inexpensive platform is recommended to those without kids, kids will frequently bump into things and although this platform is very stable, it will not keep your speaker from falling over, should it be hit sideways. If you find that you don't like the appearance or function of this cheap tweak, simply pull out the nails and you're only out $5. Good luck! [​IMG]
    The total cost of 2 platforms will be less than $5. [​IMG]
    Home Depot or any home improvement oulet will sell these.
    Concrete slabs=$0.50 each.
    Box of nails=$2

2. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Now where may I ask did you get these .50 cent slabs?

3. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Home Depot sells them, I'm in the SF bay area.

Orchard supply hardware should also have them.

4. Nathan Pullar

Do you have any pictures?

Nathan

5. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Nathan, I'm sorry but I don't have a digital camera.

6. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

I was having a problem with the bass from my sup travelling thru the whole apartment building. I bought a 16"X16"X2" concrete slab at Home Depot and placed my sub on it. It has worked out quite well for me. At least the neighbors dont complain anymore.

I also have my speakers on concrete slabs and it works quite well