What's new

Inexpensive Speaker Choice? (1 Viewer)

Mark Un

Auditioning
I'm looking at the Onkyo set "SKS-HT510" for $280 and Sony's SA-VE535H for $400. Looking for an inexpensive set of speakers to perform for 18 months to 2 yrs. This will be just for a HT, extremely little (if any) music. Rooom is 13x17.

Equipment have is:
Onkyo TX-SR600 Receiver
Sony KP-57WV600 Television
Sony DVP-NS725P DVD Player

Any recommendations or other suggestions?

By the way, I love this site!!!!!

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
On a budget, I like the JBL NSP-1 package. Hard to beat for the $$$, available quite cheap on the net.

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Also, if you're going to buy speakers seperately consider looking into the DLS 10" sub that partsexpress.com is selling. I just bought one recently and, for the money, it sounds spectacular matched with my B&W DM303s.

I believe they're selling for around $120.

Matt Cwieka

Auditioning
are those flunace speakers any good? this is the first ive heard of them, and that is a VERY good price.

- matt

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo is a good set. I have it, or one very similar set that came with my HT-S760. Works fine for movies, so-so with music. The set as whole is not very efficient, fronts/center at 86db and surrounds at 82db. Should be jsut fine a room your size. For the money they are very hard to beat.

As a disclaimer I did just replace the Onkyo set with Polks. When Circuit City started closing out the Polks, I couldnt resist.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Acoustic Research HC6 set. Four satellites, a center and a powered sub for just a little over
$300.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well the one thing I don't like about smaller packages is there are very few good ones to choose from. Usually what you will find is a cheap speaker in a cheapo plastic box with thin cables inside.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Fluance SX-HTB's & just got the DLS Sub mentioned above....absolutely stunning combo for the price (would be under 500$ w/ shipping I believe...I love mine...

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I just went through this myself. I ended up with an Onkyo TX-SR601 and the Fluance AV-HTB speaker set (I'd have done the SX-HTB if they were black instead). Runner up was the JBL NSP1II setup, the Acoustic Research HC6 setup, and the Onkyo speakers. I was leery of the fluance but I risked it for the front tower speakers as opposed to putting bookshelves on stands. I am very happy with my purchase. Sounds most excellent. Do some research on Fluance and you will find almost only positive reviews (I saw only one negative). Cnet reviewed the fluance setup if you want to check their site, they judged them basically on par with the Onkyo speaker set.

The worst part of my setup is the Sony WM20 sub that I got for $54 scratch-n'-dent @ Crutchfield (where I charged the receiver as well, same-as-cash 90 days, just sent out check to pay it off). I wish I had the WM40 sub instead. My first upgrade someday will be a new sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks