inexpensive/low-power 2-channel amps -- nonexistent?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Lee, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey all -

anyone know where i can score some inexpensive/low-powered 2-channel amps? all i need them for is to drive my second zone channels in my receiver.

i'm not looking for audiophile quality here. just something that'll push a decent 75 or so watts to my in-ceiling office/bedroom speakers and/or my outdoor speakers.

mebbe a couple hundred bucks or so? ebay has some stuff, but i'd like to buy new from a b&m if possible.

thx!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not many in the low wattage range when you are looking new. Used is the way to go, IMO. Amps typically last a long time unless abused. Check audiogon. Have you thought about even a used or cheap stereo receiver? Then you would have easy, direct volume control over the other location(s).

Might look for an Onkyo (282?) or H/K, I think they both *might* offer some basic two channel amps new still.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...a cheap receiver might not be a bad idea john. i was so worked up on the whole zone thing i didn't even think of that.

hook a receiver to my ipod and i may be good to go. volume control won't be a problem since each room is wired with a volume knob. and it may actually be easier then trying to explain to wifey how to control the zone 2 inputs. hmmm.... [​IMG]

i'm going to check audiogon as well - i always forget about that website. is it just average joes trying to sell their stuff?

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

You might want to check out the H/K 3480 class C, 120Wpc two ch. receiver.

6. John Garcia

John
    Yeah, Audiogon is pretty good, sort of like ebay for audio related stuff, and the sister site - videogon. Mostly higher end stuff, but if you know what you're looking for it can be a treasure chest.

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd look into getting an AudioSource Amp 1, Amc 2100, or Adcom 535 all which can easily be had for about $150 including shipping at most audio for sale section or auction sites (I own all three and they're durable as well).

8. John Garcia

John
    There's an Onkyo M-282 on Ebay for $112 right now. Was looking at the guy's receiver, and I noticed he was also selling one of them. Might be worth a look. Item: 5762011117

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx john, i'll look into that item!

philip - thank you ( [​IMG] )as well but that one's gonna be too low wattage for me. i'm looking for about 75ish.

11. John Garcia

John
    I don't know. It's 15w, but there's was a pretty big discussion not too long agon on here about that particular amp saying it has more power than it would seem for it's rating (gotta have the A/C adapter though). Still, even if it puts out more real world power than that, it might not be enough.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, and for 30 bucks...it's pretty hard to beat. but i may be running multiple rooms (office/bedroom) and my backyard at the same time -- doing the party thing.

i'm not too worried about the rooms, but my backyard speakers are gonna be around 100w/ch (relatively big back yard)....

tbh john, i'm kinda leaning towards going with an independent 2-ch receiver. i think that may work out better...still gotta ponder it some. i'm running all my gear into my master closet, so i'm not too worried about clutter/excessive gear, etc.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

One amp is not going to handle that load effectively. My recommendation would be to get the little $30 digital amps for your indoor applications and something more robust for the outside. Have you looked into the Harman/Kardon PA2000? That's exactly what it was made for. You have "zone 2" preamp outs going into this amp right?

14. John S

John S Producer

I still like to Audiosource Amp/1a for this sort of application. Realatively cheap, good performance though in my expeirences with it.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yup...i have the yamaha htr-5790. heck, it even has a zone3.

the zone2 actually has a built-in amp, but it shares it with the rear surrounds -- which i'd rather not do. that's why i'm going external. tbh, i doubt i'd actually use all zones at the same time very often...but i just want a semi-beefy amp just to be sure.

which brings me to another question. i'm going to run the zone2 output to the amp, then to a speaker selector switch (something with impedance protection...likes niles or whatever) then to my three pairs of speakers.

that shouldn't pose a problem since i'm sure i'll have a strong enough amp and the impedance rating of the receiver doesn't come into play anymore in this configuration...correct?

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm using an older Sony ES stereo amp that I got from a local pawn type shop for next to nothing. Its got a decent on board amp section and gives me a tuner as well which my pre amp lacks.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The only "problem" is that it's going to present a hell of a big impedance load to whatever amp you use. That's why I'd split your signals out to multiple little digital amps and one big beefy one for the outside where you're gonna need the watts. H/K PA2000 is your baby.

18. Oupei

Oupei Agent

19. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor