What's new

Inexpensive in-wall speakers, or not? (1 Viewer)

First HT

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I'm currently in the process of building my HT, actually mostly just planning right now. My budget is tight, but I don't want to make a mistake by purchasing 'junk' and wishing I would have waited and spent a little more... I'm building a dedicated room in my basement, so this will be the first of many posts I'm sure. My question is - since I'm building the room, should I buy in-wall speakers? My instinct tells me yes - why not save the floor-space and build them into the wall. However, I can't afford to break-the-bank for top of the line speakers. I should also note that I'm NOT a serious audio-phile. I want a decent crisp (surround) sound, that's about it. I've been considering what I would consider 'low-budget' in-walls from someplace like "TheSpeakerCompany", or "HTD". Anyone care to comment on the sound/quality of either company? Maybe my standards are low, but I think either would provide satisfactory sound. One of my 'concerns' is how much sound/vibration will transfer through the wall, since the speaker penetrates the drywall, there's one-less layer of drywall dampening the sound to others outside of the room. I don't expect the rest of the basement to be perfectly noiseless, but prefer to keep the volume in the HT room, not the entire house/basement. Obviously I'll insulate the divider walls, but are there any other recommendations for the construction of the wall? Sound mats around the speakers? Batt insulation, rigid insul, spray foam, whatever... I'm OK with tools/materials so anytime I can build it vs buy it - then I'm in!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think in-walls would be perfect for you. They look ultra-slick and sound good, too! Many companies make decent ones; make sure you get speakers that have significantly higher power-handling than you think you need. In-wall speakers tend to be less efficient than boxes.

If you have some basic woodworking skills, I would recommend considering an infinite baffle subwoofer build. Read about the configuration here: IB subwoofer FAQ page .

The problem with recommending specific models or brands is that in-wall speakers aren't like conventional speakers. I can go to an audio shop and sample 10 or 15 pairs of great speakers. For in-walls, you have to go to somebody's house who has them installed to really hear how they sound.

I have had very good experience with Proficient brand in-ceiling speakers. I also recently got a pair of "Musica" brand in-ceiling speakers and they sound great also.

Through-wall bleedthrough is pretty impossible to defeat. A loud sound with in-wall speakers will proliferate sound through the whole house. That's the only negative.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've used some $150 in-ceiling speakers from HTD and some $40 in-ceiling speakers from Dayton (partsexpress.com). Turns out that they were the exact same speaker. Both were purchased from the same foreign supplier and packaged for re-sell. That said, I have heard nothing but good reviews about the other Dayton models as well. As a company, PE listens to its customers both on their forum as well as others. If I were going with in-walls, Dayton is the only brand I would look at.

If you really want to save space, then seriously consider Philip's IB recommendation. I'm in the middle of building my own IB with four 18" custom built drivers.

Finally, insulation is very poor at containing sound from a home theater. In the Projects section we have discussed soundproofing to death. A quick search there will give you dozens of options from the not so cheap to the downright expensive.

-Robert

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I got some $40 in-ceiling speakers from Parts Express (These ones I think)and very quickly blew the crap out of them. They only handled 40 watts, this was before I realized how inefficient in-ceiling and in-wall speakers can be. Indicative of their low pwer handling was a single capacitor as the entire crossover circuit. I replaced them with Musica 625C speakers which have a real legit crossover and handle 125+ watts. (I paid a lot less for the Musica speakers on ebay than the Amazon listing) The "Musica" brand speakers sound better and jam really loud. It's worth it to spend the money for higher quality speakers. You will need a lot of clean power to drive in-walls and in-ceilings so that they sound good. The design is inherently inefficient.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Those are the same that I am using as my living room surrounds. They are adequate for surround only. If I were going with in-walls for L/C/R speakers, I'd use something like this. Or better yet, their showcase in-wall.

-Robert

corvette

Auditioning
Real Name
Pascal
Robert,

You know i checked for the In wall HD 80 and parts express is more expensive than HTD???

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
I haven't installed them yet(although auditioned free-air in my primary HT system with various material) but the M&S WG 150 in-walls that I picked up on ebay several months ago for around $55 shipped sound outstanding. They usually go for waaaay more than that but I got lucky as most people don't know anything about M&S. I didn't know anything about them either but they looked sweet in the pic so I did some investigating...turns out they're highly-acclaimed. It almost seems a waste to use them as surrounds in my system as the waveguide tweeter and 8" kevlar woofer pump out smooth,beautiful highs and tight midbass.

Here they are: http://cgi.ebay.com/M-S-Systems-WG15...3A1%7C294%3A50

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks