What's new

Inexpensive hdtv possibilities? (1 Viewer)

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
What's the least inexpensive route to go when you want over the air HD signals? Is there an option that won't set me back too much? I have the Toshiba 50H82, Toshiba SD-3750, and the TimeWarner digital package with the HD box giving me HD HBO.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If the SD-3750 is an HD decoder box, then just go to Radio Shack and buy yourself an antenna.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for not saying so, that's my dvd player. I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD for the cable box.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
If the SD-3750 is an HD decoder box
well, it aint, jeff. you didnt even look:frowning:
At this time the best bet might be finding a Samsung SIR T-150 over-the-air STB on ebay. They sold new at $499, and have just been replaced with T-151 (which actually is cheaper). I saw a T-150 mentioned elsewhere for $299.
The TWC STB (Scientific Americam) only translates their head-end signal for the cable lineup and HD-HBO. Correct me if I am wrong.
To get free Over The air (OTA) you need to be within antenna range of a station transmitter, the stations need to be broadcasting the new digital standard, which MAY include some HDTV programming.
To find out check www.antennaweb.org and enter your location/ZIP. It tells you your local stations. Most digital tv is in the UHF band. If you're lucky, it'll tell you that you can use a "small" antenna and that the stations you want are within a narrow field-of-view (meaning no need for an antenna rotor).
www.titantv.com also uses your address and tells what actual HD programs are scheduled on your local stations.
The cheapest way used to be buying a $25-$30 Radio Shack bow-tie antenna and mounting it low on the roof or in the attic and running an RG-6 coax antenna wire back down. RS isnt making the bow-tie any more, so there are others in their store. Just save your receipts for return if you try it.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
There are a bunch of auctions on eBay for Samsung OTA tuners for just over $300. It's not going to get much cheaper than that right now.

As a shot in the dark, look around your local electronics stores for open box items, especially for a DTC-100. Circuit City usually has good deals on open box stuff.

Like the other Bill said, make sure you can get enough OTA signals to make it worthwhile.

Good luck, and if you can get enough programming it's defiantly worth it, and it it looks like there will be a lot of new programming in the coming year.

Iver

Second Unit
I don't know if they will give this same price on their Web site, but J&R is selling the SIR-T150 in-store for $300.

Apparently they are unloading them to make way for the newer Samsung HD tuners which have come out.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your help. I appreciate the time and consideration given to my subject. I will get a Samsung or equivalant as soon as I update my birthday wish list. I wonder if the price will drop soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks