Inexpensive DVI DVD Players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike>Mob, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Mike>Mob

Mike>Mob Auditioning

I've done a little researching and saw that the BRAVO D1 player had a pricetag of $200 and seemed to have a very nice picture quality with its DVI output.

Does anyone else vouch for any other DVI DVD players? I just bought a Panny 47" HDTV, and it has a DVI input. I'd really like to take advantage of this feature. Thanks!

2. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

You can get the Samsung HD DVD 931 for around $275 online. I have one and it works well.

3. paulBAW

paulBAW Stunt Coordinator

DVI is the biggest scam ever created by a bunch of lawyers even Product Rep's from Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony will tell you this. It was orginally designed to control what you could possibly record in terms of HI-DEF programming. Hollywood wanted a way to block people from recording an HBO movie in Hi-def.

The spin doctors then tried to sell it as a feature that allowed "more bandwidth" the problem with this statement is that there is no single form of bandwidth which is higher then what comp video can do at this moment. In a perfect world Dish's would allow for true hi-def bandwidth, but you will never see the day when Bell, dishnetwork or DirectTV give you the full bandwidth they have to offer, its too costly.

4. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

paulBAW:
    I think you have your information confused regarding HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) and DVI (Digital Visual/Video Interface). DVI was created as a digital video format (which also supports analog signals) by the Digital Display Working Group, designed for carrying high resolution video to displays. It includes no kind of copy protection. HDCP was later developed by Intel (after DVI and is now published and maintained by Digital Content Protection, LLC. Not all DVI devices use HDCP, or are HDCP-compliant.

The main advantage of a DVI-out DVD player is that, because it can carry digital video, you can completely avoid digital to analog conversions and vice versa. D/A and A/D conversions introduce noise and artifacts, so avoiding them is a good thing, and it can give DVI an advantage over component-out progressive scan DVD players (which must perform a D/A conversion to output via component, and if your display is digital an A/D conversion must also be done again later). DVI-out is especially adventageous to those with digital displays, such as DLP's or LCD's, as D/A conversion can be avoided altogether, maintaining a pure digital signal from the DVD to display.

On to the original question...
    The only DVI-out DVD players on the market at the moment are the V Inc. Bravo D1, the Samsung 931, and the Momitsu DV-880. If you will not be using the DVI-out on these players, all of them are said to give relatively subpar quality via all the analog outputs.

From what I've read, the Samsung 931 has the following problems:
    -it's Faroujda processing adds noticable unneccessary edge-enhancement (may be fixed in latest firmware?)
    -forces any 4:3 material into stretch mode
    -incorrect scaling of non-anamorphic (non-enhanced for 16:9) disks
    -HDCP is enforced, you must have an HDCP-compliant display/setup

The Bravo D1 and Momitsu DV-880 do not enforce HDCP. The Momitsu is made in Taiwan, will cost around $300US, and comes standard with a European power cable (which if you live in the US you'll have to find a way around). From what I've read it has the advantages of being region-free (or easily made such), and being able to output RGBHV on the DVI port (good for CRT front projection users). Other than that, it seems to be quite similar to the Bravo.

5. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

I keep seeing people talk about this edge enhancement thing with the 931, but I have never seen it from mine.

6. Mike>Mob

Mike>Mob Auditioning

Thanks for the info guys! I went ahead with the Bravo D1. They go for around 200 bucks, and have heard that the video quality coming from its DVI interface, is much better than almost any progressive scan DVD player with component output out on the market. Also, you can buy DVI cables for a lot cheaper than component cables. I got a 10 foot cable for just 18 bucks. I'm kind of on a tight budget, so I feel that even though I'm spending a little more on the DVD player, I'm saving about 20 bucks on cabling, and for a superior video quality.

My new panny 47" TV will be coming in early next week. Monday can't come soon enough!!!

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah I think he is confusing the two (HDCP and DVI). I just saw a DLP projector to a 9' wide (not diagonal) screen with a DVD player using the DVI out and I can say that the proof is in the pudding! If you want the best output from a DVD player to something large, where you can see the difference, then go DVI!

8. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

'Certes, the lad is confused.

9. Bruce Patterson

Agreed on the confusion. Great sum-up, Ryan.

10. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

11. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit