1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Boulanger, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Mike_Boulanger

Mike_Boulanger Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive DVD player that is reliable? Looking for one to give as a gift.

There is a Samsung, I believe model M101 that runs about $120 on-line that I have been checking out.

However, I'm not familiar with how Samsungs are compatibility-wise, reliability-wise, etc...

Normally I'd try to stick with the Sony/Toshiba/Panasonic players, but can't find one in that price-range.

Don't mind buying on-line if I can save significantly. I'd like to keep it in the $120 range, but wouldn't mind spending slightly more if I get a better built player.

Any suggestions appreciated..

Thanks!

2. David Cohn

David Cohn Extra

DVD players are one area where a little money can still get a quality product. I recommend you check out Yahoo shopping/electronics/DVD players ... be confident ordering from a five-star retailer.

Take a look at the Sony's ... 300 and 400 models. Both are around $170.

Toshiba makes a nice entry-level player ... about $160.

Make sure you add the cost of an s-video or component cables. Don't use the low quality composite cable found in the box.

Do you want a five-disc carousel? Both coaxial & optical outputs? These features are nice to have but will increase the price.

Good luck.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I would recommend you stay away from Samsung, from what I've heard they don't make very good DVD players, with compatibility issues, skipping ecetera. Try to look for a Panasonic, Sony, or Toshiba in your price range.

4. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

For a good basic non-progressive player try the Panasonic RV31 which you should be able to get at Best Buy for $169. A little higher than your $120 price but if you can afford the extra $49 it is a great low end player.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Best Buy was advertising an entry-level Pioneer player in this weekend's add for $129.

6. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Costco has the Toshiba 1700 for $129 and of course the $99 Daewoo player, for the extra 30 the Toshiba is a great choice.I believe BJs also has the Tosh at this price. The Pioneer at BestBuy is a good deal ,also believe its that price at Costco. And finally Target has an Oritron for $89.

7. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

It is the Pioneer DV341 that is at Best Buy for $130. Go with Pioneer, Toshiba or Panasonic.

8. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

This weekend my local Sears had the discontinued Panasonic RV30 for $129 if you don't mind last years model and they have them at the Sears in your area.

9. Mike_Boulanger

Mike_Boulanger Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help, guys

10. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Check out Ben's Bargains for a Toshiba SD-1700 for $135 shipped from Amazon. I used a similar deal a year ago to get an SD-1600 and have been extremely happy with it.