Inexpensive DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Boulanger, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Mike_Boulanger

Mike_Boulanger Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive DVD player that is reliable? Looking for one to give as a gift.

There is a Samsung, I believe model M101 that runs about $120 on-line that I have been checking out.

However, I'm not familiar with how Samsungs are compatibility-wise, reliability-wise, etc...

Normally I'd try to stick with the Sony/Toshiba/Panasonic players, but can't find one in that price-range.

Don't mind buying on-line if I can save significantly. I'd like to keep it in the $120 range, but wouldn't mind spending slightly more if I get a better built player.

Any suggestions appreciated..

Thanks!

2. David Cohn

David Cohn Extra

DVD players are one area where a little money can still get a quality product. I recommend you check out Yahoo shopping/electronics/DVD players ... be confident ordering from a five-star retailer.

Take a look at the Sony's ... 300 and 400 models. Both are around $170.

Toshiba makes a nice entry-level player ... about $160.

Make sure you add the cost of an s-video or component cables. Don't use the low quality composite cable found in the box.

Do you want a five-disc carousel? Both coaxial & optical outputs? These features are nice to have but will increase the price.

Good luck.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I would recommend you stay away from Samsung, from what I've heard they don't make very good DVD players, with compatibility issues, skipping ecetera. Try to look for a Panasonic, Sony, or Toshiba in your price range.

4. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

For a good basic non-progressive player try the Panasonic RV31 which you should be able to get at Best Buy for $169. A little higher than your $120 price but if you can afford the extra $49 it is a great low end player.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Best Buy was advertising an entry-level Pioneer player in this weekend's add for $129.

6. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Costco has the Toshiba 1700 for $129 and of course the $99 Daewoo player, for the extra 30 the Toshiba is a great choice.I believe BJs also has the Tosh at this price. The Pioneer at BestBuy is a good deal ,also believe its that price at Costco. And finally Target has an Oritron for $89.

7. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

It is the Pioneer DV341 that is at Best Buy for $130. Go with Pioneer, Toshiba or Panasonic.

8. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

This weekend my local Sears had the discontinued Panasonic RV30 for $129 if you don't mind last years model and they have them at the Sears in your area.

9. Mike_Boulanger

Mike_Boulanger Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help, guys

10. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Check out Ben's Bargains for a Toshiba SD-1700 for $135 shipped from Amazon. I used a similar deal a year ago to get an SD-1600 and have been extremely happy with it.