inexpensive DVD player for parents

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RobertW, Mar 30, 2005.

1. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

my folks expressed an interest in getting a dvd player a while back, but they have no desire in spending more than $100, and the lesser the better. but i don't want them to pick up a piece of crap from wal-mart for $30, so i did a little looking online.

of these three, which would most of you go with?

Toshiba SD-3960
    Sony DVP-NS575
    Panasonic DVD-S27

the Secrects of HI-FI folks seem to like the Toshiba as the best of the real inexpensive ones. are they right?

2. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

try a RCA DRC233(maybe DCR233)

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I have the Toshiba 3960. I can't vouch for the video quality as I'm not using it as a DVD player. However, I am using it as a CD player as the DACs in this player are mighty impressive and the analog capabilities of this player are pretty impressive with music.

But ...

I don't think I'll be keeping this player. For music, I'll jump on something a bit better and purchase a dedicated CD player. The load times on the 3960 are painfully slow. You can put a disc in and it takes a while (a minute?) to recognize my CDs. I don't know if the first DVD player ever invented has taken this long to recognize a disc. Of the players you've listed, I'd push for the Panasonic. They are a good value, good performer and easy to operate.

4. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

I would get them the Panasonic DVD-S27