Inexpensive DVD player as a CD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jonathan Lofgren, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Jul 10, 2001
    This Christmas I got a Marantz SR-6200 receiver and made a pair of GR-Research AV-1s. While they aren't high end, I'm really pleased with both. The digital source I have is my older, less than reliable Sony DVD player. It doesn't play most brands of CD-R and won't play any sometimes. It also occasionally refuses to play DVDs.

I can live with the DVD play back because, when it works, it does well enough. The CD playback and problems it has are not useful. I've been looking around a little bit and it seems that the best deals for a digital source are some of the cheaper DVD players. There are some with 192/24 DACs, DVD-A and 5 disc capacity for~$125. This seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Does anyone use a DVD player for music and/or what are some sonically good DVD players? Thanks in advance.
  2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Aug 1, 2000
    For CD playback, a decent quality dedicated CD player will normally out-perform a DVD player of the same quality. CD's have 16 bit word length and a 44.1Khz sample rate, which is not a native format for DVD players. This means that DVD players need to do some additional conversions and reclocking to turn the 16/44 format into something they can use. As a general rule of thumb, adding more conversions to the process should be avoided, if possible.