What's new

Inexpensive Center channel amp (1 Viewer)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Was thinking of using one of the parts express sub plate amps for a center channel. The 300-800 at $85 seems a likely candidate and has a line in that bypasses the crossover, but still includes volume control. Are these units good enough quality for the voice in a center channel?
If not, any sub $200 recommendations, either new or used?

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
OK folks anyone know anything about Jamo amps? I can get a 50/watt channel bridgable to 100 for $121. (MPA-100) Has a bass xover too for those interested. I've never heard of this brand. Any good? Better bet than the parts express plates?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
For a sub $200 amp I would highly suggest a Marantz MA-500 if you can find one. They usually go for $150-200 and are great monoblocks. I have 2 that are driving my mains (Paradigm Monitor 7v2) and I really enjoy them a lot. Chris
------------------
Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net
patriot.gif

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hi Art,
Got your e-mail, but figured I'd answer you here. Here's the info. on the 300-800, it looks like it would be pretty rolled-off in a center-channel application based on this graph from PE.
FULLRNG.gif

------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
Looking at the graph, I'd agree with you, but reading it, it says that defeating the eq gives flat response. Looks like you have to bypass a cap and pull a resistor.
Seem right?
//Art

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
They're referring to achieving flat response in the bass region by defeating the bass boost, you can see the response with and without in the graph. Either way, the response looks the same above 100Hz, though.
I don't know if ths graph was supposed to represent the treble response of the amp, it does stop at 10khz,so you might want to pose that question over on the http://64.37.116.230/cgi-bin/config.pl

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
A cheap center channel amp will probably be no better than the one in your receiver. I'm assuming you have a receiver with pre-amp outs.
For $650 (that's if you buy at full retail) the Sherbourn 1/300 MB XLR-balanced/unbalanced monoblock has better build quality than the Marantz monoblocks (that I've seen) and has clarity and bass finesse a-plenty for the money. Got a glowing review recently from Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks