Inexpensive Center channel amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Miller, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Was thinking of using one of the parts express sub plate amps for a center channel. The 300-800 at $85 seems a likely candidate and has a line in that bypasses the crossover, but still includes volume control. Are these units good enough quality for the voice in a center channel?
    If not, any sub $200 recommendations, either new or used?

2. Art Miller

OK folks anyone know anything about Jamo amps? I can get a 50/watt channel bridgable to 100 for $121. (MPA-100) Has a bass xover too for those interested. I've never heard of this brand. Any good? Better bet than the parts express plates?

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    For a sub $200 amp I would highly suggest a Marantz MA-500 if you can find one. They usually go for $150-200 and are great monoblocks. I have 2 that are driving my mains (Paradigm Monitor 7v2) and I really enjoy them a lot. Chris
    ------------------
    Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net[​IMG]

4. Art Miller

Jack,
    Looking at the graph, I'd agree with you, but reading it, it says that defeating the eq gives flat response. Looks like you have to bypass a cap and pull a resistor.
    Seem right?
    //Art

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

A cheap center channel amp will probably be no better than the one in your receiver. I'm assuming you have a receiver with pre-amp outs.
    For $650 (that's if you buy at full retail) the Sherbourn 1/300 MB XLR-balanced/unbalanced monoblock has better build quality than the Marantz monoblocks (that I've seen) and has clarity and bass finesse a-plenty for the money. Got a glowing review recently from Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!