What's new

Inexpensive Cables? (1 Viewer)

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a bookcase thats going to become an audio/video cabinet and so will be looking for a few cables a bit longer than normal. Looks like 12ft will cover it.
Probably need component video, s-video and rca audio.

I'm Looking for sources and brand names to look for for inexpensive (read that reasonably priced) cables.

I don't want cheap junk but want cables that perform well with as low a price as possible.

Saw a brand reccomended somewhere that was something like:
AVX or GSX or at least I think it was three letters with "X" in it.

Anyway would appreciate help with any brands and webstores.

Thanks for any/all help.

"Didn't see the Tweaking and Connections Forum until after I posted this. If the moderator wants to move it thats fine"

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
NXG? I'm ordering a component video cable from them soon. efunctional.com seems to have cheap prices for them.

You can build RCA's from regular old RG-6 with F to RCA adapters. You can also look at Radio Shack for some cheap but good cables.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you go w/ NXG stay away from the higher priced "professional" or "sapphire" line. They use a bullet style connector that i've had bad experience with breaking due to poor stress/strain relief. They have a very tight girp one you get them on, so getting them off can lead to accidental breakage.

I've had bot regular and pro/sapphire NXG cables and they perform very well for a low low price. The regular NXG cables seem to be just as good as the AR performance and entry level Montster THX cables at about 1/10 the cost. The pro/sapphire look/feel better and more akin to the AR Pro or Monster 300 level, but the inadequate stress/strain bothered me, especially since i'm swapping and moving gear fairly often.

I'd say go w/ the regular NXG stuff unless you are at all interested in DIY cables. I eventually replaced my NXGs w/ DIY w/ no noticable performance increase, but the build quality is a big step up and knowing for sure my cables aren't holding me back offers some piece of mind. And knowing you built something yourself that's the same as alot of the online cable companies sell at twice the price is always a fun feeling :)

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses:

How would you compare NGX to DAYTON made cables that are sold by Parts Express?

Any other sources for NGX in addition to efunctional.com?

Thanks again.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I use primarily AR Pro series cables from AC4L.com they're pretty cheap. I also have a few Dayton cables from Parts Express and I think they're on par with the AR Pro. I didn't do any testing, but I'm satisfied with their performance and see no problems, and the build quality is very good also.

Verrot

Auditioning
One more vote for the Bluejeans cables.

I purchased 9 XLR cables for my system when I upgraded to XLR. Great cable quality, better specs than most. I didn't pay for it, but they shipped them to me next day FedEx as well!!!

If I don't build them, I will only buy from BJC!

Verrot.

Mark_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for the responses.

I have noticed some saying they build their own cables.

This seems like it would be ideal since you could make them an exact length for your needs.

Where are the components being purchased from?
Is there any savings to be had or just the satisfaction of making sure its done right and getting the right length?

Thanks.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It really depends on how many and how often you're making cables. The tools needed can be aquired online for as little as $60 (paladin 8000 handle, die, and strip tool) or cost as much as $300 (Canare tools). I purchase my components (cable and connectors) from BDCable. Their prices are pretty much on par with everyone else, and they accept paypal which is convinient for me.

cacu

Stunt Coordinator
Some guy on ebay is selling a 6ft Acoustic Research Pro 2 component cable for $5 buy it now + $10 shipping. Sheez, unbelievably cheap. If i did already have all my cables i would jump on it. Just bought a AR Pro 2 15' sub cable from him for same price.

AR Pro 2 are very high quality cables.

DiMora Diamond

Auditioning
I too went with Canare cables...Put in my vote for clearcables.com They build Canare cables, and mine turned out sweet. They have a couple coverings to choose from...no frills and great performance. Service was outstanding, and they shipped quickly, despite being custom built and a custom length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks