Inexpensive cables for surround, higher end for fronts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don K, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Don K

Don K Agent

After reading alot of post on cables I'm still not sure that spending alot of moeny for cables makes a difference over Home Depot's wire. I have talked to two speaker companies than felt that high end wires did not make an audible diffence worth the extra money. My thought is to use mid to high end cables for the front which will not require long runs and use cheaper(Home Depot wire) for the rear surrounds and the sub. Is my assumption that wiring to the surrounds is not as critical correct? This will save me money and yet allow the use of more expensive wiring for the fronts and center which produces most of the sound anyway.

2. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Since you talked to two companies that said high end cables won't make a difference, I would go with Home Depot all the way around. It will save you a few bucks.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Don K,

That pretty much what I do. More cost effective, and there just isn't enough information coming out of the rears to justify the cost, IMO.

You likely won't get much of an opinion from any speaker manufacturer, as they aren't in the business of listening to differnt cables. Some that I have talked to say that their are changes in the sound, but won't go as far as recommending a certian brand. It's not their business to sell someone else's product, afterall.

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Yes use better premium cables for the front speakers (LCR) and 12 awg for the surrounds. By premium I dont mean boutique or expensive! Something like lower end Nordost, Kimber etc..

5. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

If you are running wire in the attic or down through the walls I would definitely get UL listed in-wall wire. I just replaced my two 70' Home Depot 12-gauge runs with AR ProSeries 14/4 runs. It ran me $.50 a foot, which I consider a bargain. You can dress the ends up (I did) to make it look like expensive boutique wire. [​IMG] I ordered it from AudioAdvisor .
    I chose the 14/4 wire over the 14/2 wire because of the extremely long run, then just doubled up on the ends, effectively making it 11-gauge wire. The 14/2 would be fine for shorter runs.
    Good luck, and Happy New Year!
    Pete

6. Don K

Don K Agent

Thanks Pete. The runs are shorter than 40 feet and they will be inwall.

7. Brian_C

Brian_C Stunt Coordinator

I would use Home Depot or Sound King 12 gauge all around, but if you do want to use premium cables, I'd only stick to the fronts as well. The rears don't play much sound at all and they are generally used only for effect.