Inexpensive but Reliable DVD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Basically I'm looking for a secondary DVD player to use on our upstairs TV and would prefer to spend no more than $100.00.

Now, there are plenty of sub $100.00 players coming out these days but most seem to be complete let-downs.
    My biggest concern is for this DVD player to recognize and play lightly scratched and rental disks.
    I've experienced and read reviews of other players working flawlessly for about a year and then all the sudden the player starts getting disk read errors and can't recognize or play the same DVDs it had no problems with before.
    Symptoms like skipping from chapter to chapter, C:13:00 errors, longer than normal layer changes, cannot read media errors, etc. all started up out of the blue.

Yeah, I know... what do you expect for a $100 player? :b
    But I have a feeling there are a few diamond in the rough players that can be picked up for around $100.

So given all that, what do you suggest for a new or used DVD player with a reliable track record with reading all types of disks, at least average A/V quality and a sub $100.00 price tag?

Just to give you an idea of my current short list, in no particular order:

Samsung N501 (nuron player but I can get it for great price)

Sony 360, 315

Panasonic RV-31 or 32

Pioneer 440

I appreciate any and all replies.

Brian

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Brian:

Rather than spending that money on a new cheap player, why not hunt around for some bargains on used gear? I'd trust a used player of 2-3 years over a new machine under $100 any day. Build quality was a lot better in those models. You may experience the odd glitch with some DVDs, and the picture might not be quite as good as the models of today - but the added reliability would make up for any such indeficiency's, IMHO.

/Jeff

3. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

RV-31 and 32 is a pretty good bet. I own the lower-end version of that (RV-22) and it's quite reliable.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

With all due respect, I'm not sure I'd want to buy any component that has moving parts on the used market. Too, DVD players don't exactly set the standard for ruggedness and longterm reliability. Get a new machine. I also like it that you've already come up with a list of leading candidates. You're on a good track (no pun).

I purchased a Toshiba 2800 for the bedroom earlier this year (for around $140 at Buy.com). It has performed flawlessly, but I take really good care of it and don't overwork the machine.

5. Ralph Bru

Ralph Bru Stunt Coordinator

go with a pioneer. I have had 2 since 96 without any problems. great performers too.

6. David Susilo

Although I own 2 Pioneers (DV-05 and the 414), Pioneer has chroma bug, Panasonic doesn't. Also my Panasonic DVD-A300 (bought April 1997) is still chugging along with no problem whatsoever. Even plays DVD-R flawlessly.

7. Ralph Bru

I never watch dvds with a microscope or not blinking my eyes [​IMG]

8. David Susilo

I guess you really have to check your eyes because even with my glasses off I can still see that there's something off with the picture (using 42" 16:9 RPTV)

With my glasses on, it's as easy for me to see those flaws as seeing the shape difference between a 16:9 and a 4:3 aspect ratio.

oh, btw, I watch the TV at 8' distance.

so yeah, neither microscope nor no-blinking required to see the difference.

9. Ralph Bru

well I guess my 25" tv doesnt show as well as your 42"
    chill dude, im the one with the bum dvd player.... remember ? [​IMG]
    notice the smiles in my last post too.
    jeeezz

10. David Susilo

First of all, my apology if my post sounds like an insult. No such thing is intended. What I meant to say is that the chroma bug is really bugging certain people while not another.

The comment of me noticing the bug without my glasses simply means that I notice something looks off although I can't pinpoint the chroma bug without my glasses.

I should've written my statement as:

so yeah, neither microscope nor no-blinking required FOR ME to see the difference.

I guess it's more of a curse for me because I can see the following very easily

1. the slightest off-convergence, even on 13" direct-view TVs with OTA feed. I had to exchange my Toshiba 13" (or was it 14") flatscreen TV about 6 times before I can find one that's acceptable, exchanged my 20" flatscreen 3 times, 30" 16:9 HDTV 4 times.
    2. subtitle stripe-bug on most DVD players
    3. flicker bug that riddles my RP-56 even without my glasses
    4. chroma bug, also without my glasses

11. Ralph Bru

David....
    how do you like the 30" ws hdtv ? I want a ws tv but a tube tv. really id like someting bigger but curious.
    I am familiar with the croma bug although looking I havent seen major evidence of it although I think i have seen it but thats really looking. I have reasd some articles but cant say im totally educated on it. I have the old pioneer 343, 434 .
    I have heard of the flicker bug...... anyone can elaborate or post a link. I seem to get alot of flicker from my dvd player and have to turn down the contrast to compensate. dont know if thats the flicker bug but it bugs me. [​IMG]

12. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Not sure what else was going on there for a while but I'm glad you two seemed to kiss and makeup. [​IMG]
    Anyhow,
    I'm leaning toward a Pioneer because I currently have the DV-444 and it's played all disks without a problem.
    Does anybody have a comment on Samsung Players specifically
    the model I listed (N501)?
    Brian

13. David Susilo

Actually, I like my 30" Directview HD much more than the 42" RPTV. As you might already know, RPTV convergence leaves a lot to be desired, and with my cursed eyes, it really bugs me to no end to the point I only watch the 42" when my daughter wants to watch her Disney animation DVDs.

There are also 34" Directview HDTVs from Panasonic, Toshiba, Philips, and Loewe. The best picture, albeit non-flatscreen is the one from Loewe, followed by Philips. Toshiba has geometry problem, Panasonic too but in a much lesser degree.

Therefore, for bang for the buck, Panasonic is the way to go. If PQ is the most important thing and you don't have uncontrolled lighting, Loewe is the king.

oh, and WAAAAY less chance of burn-in when watching 4:3 image on its 16:9 screen.

14. David Susilo

Oh, and about the flicker-bug.
    When there is solid colour being shown (like red, green, especially in animation)the colour will flicker. It bugs me to no end, but after buying the E-30 recorder, I just don't have the cash to get rid off my RP-56 for an RP-82. Besides, although my wife doesn't mind me buying any gear I want, she'll kill me for the chrome-look on the RP-82. [​IMG]

15. David Susilo

Samsung?... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

at least from my experiences with Samsung products (PC monitor, 7 DVD players, 1 DVD recorder, 4 solid state MP3 players, 3 CD-based MP3 players, 1 microwave oven)

From the products I've used, none except the microwave oven lasts more than a year flawlessly.

7 DVD players can't play one movie or another in an intermittent manner
    4 solid state MP3 players drains battery MUCH more than the actual rating (one of them can only play for about 30 minutes with a fresh set of Duracell)
    3 CD-based MP3 players' LCD panel flickers after about a month of use (I put them nicely on my desk, not for mobile use)
    PC Monitor give one fine vertical line on the left side... annoying, especially with less than 100 hours of usage
    the DVD recorder mangled my DVD-RAM lids.

16. Bob_Wilson

Bob_Wilson Agent

17. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

If there's an Exchange (military store) near you, you could pick up a Pioneer DV353K for $88 no tax on sale next week. I'll be picking one up to replace my crappy Apex(gift).

18. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

I paid around $400 for a Pioneer CV-36 changer that had archaic progressive video (doubler, no 3:2 pulldown) but had a very quiet changer with excellent video and audio, but rather limited CD format capability. A few weeks after the chintzy warranty expired it would not play CDs anymore.
    I recently replaced it with a Panasonic CP72 that has just as good video and audio, true progressive video, DVD Audio, that plays most any CD format from MP3 to WAM. All this for less than half the price of the Pioneer. Same chintzy warranty so I extended it 2 more years for only $30.
    Only thing it doesn't have that the Pioneer had, is some 'heft' to the chassis, and the name 'Elite' on the front. So be it!
    Cookie-cutter electronics wins out!

19. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta

20. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

I think you'll do fine with a known brand that actually makes good products. Buying one of their, or their cheapest version isn't a bad idea compared to buying an Apex or Daewoo. I can't believe some of the names of some of these off the wall brands.

I'd say stick with the pioneer or panasonic.