What's new

Inexpensive 5 disc CD player with... (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Toslink or coax digital output.
Play X-change.
CDR/CDRW and MP3 playerback.
Shuffle play with both CD's and MP3's.
On-screen MP3 navigation would be nice but I don't want a DVD player unless its really fast and can be made region free. Otherwise, I want a CD player and not a DVD player.

I'd keep using my Panasonic 5 disc DVD player for CD's but it is super slow on start up. Just checking to replace my older analog output 5 disc Sony CD player with one with CDRW/MP3 and digital audio output.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Denon DCM-380 and Onkyo DX-C390 (which is a 6-disc player). They meet your requirements except I dont think they have on-screen navigation and I'm not sure about the cd/mp3 shuffle. You can get them for about $200 US new or $100 US refurbished.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Cool. I'll check into them. Actually, I've seen some cheap Sony 5 disc DVD players out there that would serve my purpose. Wouldn't have the greatest DAC's but I'm moving towards relying more on my receivers DAC's. If the Sony 5 disc DVD player is fast it would be nice. My Panasonic DVD player is so slow. Other drawback of my Panny is that unlike my 14 year old 5 disc Sony CD player, you cannot tell which disc is playing when viewing the display from a distance of 3 feet away or more!

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
Are you by any chance currently using this DVD player? I am also looking for a multi disc DVD player for playing CD's but I cant stand how my DVD player (Samsung) loads the CD so SLOW!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'm not using that player. Mine is an older Panasonic CV51 5 disc carousel. Mine is interlaced and I use an iScan line doubler to get my progress dvd signal to my projector. The thing I hate about the panny as a cd player is that when you press OPEN, even when the DVD player is off, the drawer doesn't open right away, it goes and looks at the disc in the play position and then it goes and looks some more at the other discs and then it finally opens after 20 seconds! When you press OPEN on my 14 year old 5 disc Sony it opens instantly. Once the panny is on, its not too bad, and changing discs is ok, but it still takes quite a few seconds to look at the disc. Makes going from disc to disc alot slower. Maybe I'll see if there is a CD player mode, but I haven't found it yet. With my 14 year old Sony, its instant, the player drops that disc, spins over to the other and starts instantly. Yes, I know the players use different lasers and the dvd player has to figure out whats on the disc first, but it would be better if it wasn't so slow and there's no excuse for not opening the instant I press open.

Users who are viewing this thread