inexpensive 2nd receiver suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chriss M, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

Hey everyone,
    In the next few days, i will be changing my living arrangements and i've decided that my main HT/Music system will be going out in the living room area to share with my roommate. ( i have a Denon 3801, paradigm studio 40's, center, svs 20-39, etc)
    I have an extra set of Paradigm Monitor 3's, so i was thinking i would set them up for some music in my bedroom. The source would be a computer outputing through a TOSLink cable. So i all i need is a decent receiver. 2 channel would be fine, but i really dont know what, if anything, is available. If i was to just go with a 5 channel receiver anyway, i was thinking something like an onkyo 595, denon 1802, or kenwood 509 would work well.
    Anyway i'd love to hear some suggestions on what you all think would work...the idea is to get something decent for as little as possible [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chriss, if two-channel music is what you are after, then by all means, buy a two-channel receiver or stereo integrated amp. Do not get an A/V receiver. For the money, a stereo amp (receiver or integrated) will outperform an A/V receiver. I highly recommend you get an integrated amp rather than a receiver. If you want the radio, buy a separate tuner.
    Based on the receivers you are considering, I recommend you pick up an NAD C 350 stereo integrated amp. It retails for $430, but I bought one from Sound City (1-800-370-3156) for $325 a little over a year ago for my second stereo system. Sound City is an authorized NAD dealer. NAD makes excellent integrated amps that get rave reviews in the British hi-fi magazines, which tend to pay more attention to stereo music than do the US magazines. Specifically, the NAD C 350 has gotten excellent reviews in What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice out of the UK. For $325-450, the C 350 is a no-brainer and is a steal in my opinion. NAD's Classic Series components (hence the 'C' in C 350) aren't much to look at, but NAD focuses on what is important in amp design -- the inside. For more information on the C 350, go to www.nadelectronics.com . Best of luck.

3. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Kieth. Get an integrated amp. You can get into the next level of components by doing this. Hell, you can even get into tubes if you like. ASL has some fine equipment for the money. Check out www.audiogon.com for some good values on used equipment. I would only recommend a surround receiver if you do gamming on your computer. that way you can take advantage of any surround sound on the games (of course you'd have to buy a few more speakers)