Inexpensive (<$150) Rear Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jon.P.VT, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Jon.P.VT

Jon.P.VT Auditioning

My roommate's recent purchase of a Samsung RPTV has gotten me interested in finishing up a 5.1 setup that I haven't had the chance to deal with for a couple years.

I'm running a terrible Sony receiver, which I am probably going to replace with a refurb HK AVR-525 from OneCall. I have JBL ND310's as my fronts, an N-Center, and a JBL 10" sub that I bought from a friend.

I'm looking for some inexpensive bookshelf sized speakers for my rear channels. I don't have room for 6.1 or 7.1, and I can't wall-mount the speakers due to the arrangement of my apartment. I either need to put the speakers on stands, or just suck it up and leave them on the floor (horrible I know).

Now to finally get to my question: any recommendations for speakers around $150 or under? I see that OneCall has JBL N-26s for $129 shipped, but that was just a thought.

-Jon

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well it's usually a good idea to stick with the same type of speaker. Such as don't use a JBL speaker with a Monitor Audio or such, stick with the same brand.

I don't know if this would fit you better but instead of the HK 525 refurb, onecall has the 325 refurb for $150 less, so that could give you $300 for the speakers in the rear.

The JBL N26II look like a good deal for $199 and are bookshelfs so they should be right up your alley.

Hope this helps.

3. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

Jon.P,

I am using paradigm atoms for my rears and they are very good. I believe they retail for $189, but you should be able to get them for about $150-160.

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

5. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

stick with JBL's... the sound of the northridge series will be unlike any other speakers.

i believe you can get the N26II for 150 from www.jandr.com

6. Jon.P.VT

Jon.P.VT Auditioning

I just checked out J and R. I'm not really sure why, but they have either the N26-II or S26-II for $150 shipped.

I've heard good things about those RADMicros, but they seem like their sound would get swallowed up by the front speakers.

My reasoning for trying to keep the cost down wasn't so much that I don't have the money. It was more because I don't think I'm going to have the ND310's for more than another year and a half. After I finish up grad school, I don't know where I'll be, so I'm not sure I can take the gigantic things with me.

Does anybody think it would be a better idea to spend some extra money now and keep the rear speakers for use with a later setup?

7. george king

george king Supporting Actor

John,

I do not know if the RADs would be dwarfed. Call or write Brian and find out. He is a great guy to deal with, and his craftsmanship is amazing. I bought my cabinents from him.