What's new

Indy Trilogy Christmas 2003 (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
I thought that we did have an official statement: no Indy in 2002.
I don't think that's what he meant, I think the real question is why Paramount/Lucasfilm won't update the STATUS of the trilogy as in are the DVDs being worked on or not but I could be wrong

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Rather than start a new thread, I figured that I'd use this one. :)
I just wanted to see if anyone has received any substantial, credible information regarding the releases. If not, I'll be converting my Indy trilogy to DVD this weekend.
Any news from anyone who is not funding someone's college education a quarter at a time? :D

DanR

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to see if anyone has received any substantial, credible information regarding the releases. If not, I'll be converting my Indy trilogy to DVD this weekend.
John,

Convert away. Even if this does come for X-mas 2003, you still have a year and a half to enjoy your conversions (which I assume are coming from Laserdisc?).

Also, if X-mas 2003 turns out to be true, there won't be any credible information until probably 2nd quarter 2003 at the earliest. I think your time would be better spent watching paint dry than waiting around for credible information regarding this rumor.

Regards,
Dan

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I know one thing for sure.
Raiders of the Lost Ark will never be released to DVD.
And who knows when Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark will be release either. ;)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
The title has not been changed in the credits. It's still "Raiders..." no matter what the revisionists at Lucasfilm tell Paramount to slap on the box.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Patience will be rewarded in regard toThe Indiana Jones Trilogy. It's inevetable that it will appear next year, isn't it?! But what about titles like Ace In The Hole which Paramount owns? Jesus, has that movie ever been on home-video? Honor Billy Wilder's brilliant career and release that one, Paramount! :D
What were the Laserdisc transfer like on the Indy Jones movies anyway?
Patience will be rewarded...
Gordy

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
What were the Laserdisc transfer like on the Indy Jones movies anyway?
Quite good, as laser transfers go, especially sound-wise. The three widescreen discs were part of the testing phase of THX certification -- they went through the process, but are not marked with the THX LaserDisc logo. Paramount's original widescreen Apocalypse Now was another THX test.

I remember reading something ages ago about Spike Lee and Criterion, where one of his requests during the production of the Do The Right Thing and She's Gotta Have It LDs was that Criterion attempt to aquire the rights to Ace In The Hole. I remember him wanting to record a commentary or contribute in some way to a Criterion LD of that film.

Wouldn't that have been fantastic?

GaryEA

Second Unit
The title has not been changed in the credits. It's still "Raiders..." no matter what the revisionists at Lucasfilm tell Paramount to slap on the box.
Stranger things have happened, so when you say this, I agree, but with reservation.

I know that I'm opening a huge can of worms when I say this, but after the... "improvements" (shall we say) to the Star Wars OT, and the slight modifications to E.T., I wonder if Raiders with have the Cairo Swordsman "shoot first" (Harrison Ford did in the OT, will it stay the same in this film?) or have select Nazi emblems removed. Hypothetical examples, of course.

Look, my point is this; my faith in Lucas has been shaken so I'm worried enough as it is. Thankfully, Raiders is a Spielberg film, but he himself has gone back changed his films after their release. Not as severe of course, and he will offer the "original release" in the gift set.

As a guy who tries to be a loyal fan of these films, it's a constant, irritating process to see one version replaced by another, with the previous version deemed as "rough cuts" or likened to unfinished business. Indeed, those are Lucas sentiments. Spielberg, when asked, says that he changed his mind about certain elements of older films (like guns in E.T.), but it still comes across as indulgent to me, and I'm tired of it.

Hence my weariness about this hypothetical release of the Indy films.

If anything can win back my faith with the issue of milestone films of my generation being released to DVD unaltered, getting Raiders released untouched will do it.

-g

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Quite good, as laser transfers go, especially sound-wise. The three widescreen discs were part of the testing phase of THX certification -- they went through the process, but are not marked with the THX LaserDisc logo. Paramount's original widescreen Apocalypse Now was another THX test.
No, only the Widescreen discs of Raiders and Temple were THX test discs. The Widescreen disc of Last Crusade had already been on the market for three years and wasn't ever updated. It is inferior in picture quality to the other two and has problems in the soundtrack as well (vocals too low/drowned out compared to the rest of the mix).

BTW, the fourth THX test disc was Days of Thunder.

-Lyle J.P.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Thanks for the clarification, Lyle!

I suppose that this means I should stop hunting for a (reasonably priced) domestic widescreen Last Crusade to replace my Pony Canyon Japanese widescreen LD, which has noticably more colour noise than the sorta-THX Raiders disc -- Pony Canyon probably just recycled the domestic master (with added subtitles, of course).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
No, only the Widescreen discs of Raiders and Temple were THX test discs
Was there an earlier version in widescreen of both movies on LD?
The last time I saw all three was @ thanksgiving of '98, and I thought that first 2 movie looked terrible,especially Raiders.The chroma pm noise was just unbearable.It had to be different "version" because my friend owned the test THX version of Raiders,and I seem to remember it was much better.The sound was good if not "dated" a bit though.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
There has only been one widescreen version of each of the Indy films. I have one of the first Raiders letterboxed discs off the line and it looks quite good even by today's standards, with none of the problems you describe.

Not all laserdisc players are created equal. Due to laserdisc's analog nature the picture quality of players can differ greatly, much more so than DVD players. Perhaps when you saw it in '98 the player wasn't up to snuff or the video system just wasn't calibrated properly?

-Lyle J.P.

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
Well, i can't really tell where i heard about it, but maybe you should put some water in your wine and believe it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks