Indy Jones - Uncomposed Art...for the DVD covers, maybe? (5 decent-sized pics)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Mar 13, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I just found these via Paramount's media art system.

It's obvious that these aren't finished DVD covers, but since they're new then it's almost certain they will be involved in the DVD releases.

Note that there were separate graphics for the titles themselves for each of the three films (which I didn't bother to post here). The first film is definately going to be labeled "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" on the DVD cover. Sorry to bring that bad news.

Also see that there were two different basic arts for the 2nd film. I have no idea which one they'll use on the DVD cover. Maybe the extra one will make it to the insert.

First up, though, is what is certainly going to be the art that will grace the box set slipcover. Note that GL & SS are there! Niiiiiice.

Here ya go:

Note: per Ron Epstein I removed those huge pictures and put links to them instead. Sorry about that, Ron; as Scott indicated they came to exactly 358K combined so I didn't believe it would be a problem. Links now removed due to exceeded bandwidth! Sorry!

2. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

They could be the VHS cover art simply because Paramount's asset site still does list VHS assets.

3. David Lambert

Jeremy, I'm well aware of that. Thing is, these weren't there the other day. Nor last week. Nor anytime in the past few months, since the rumors started. I've been keeping a close eye on it! :wink:

Nope, it's new. Still, you're right in that it could be a re-listing of the VHS stuff. But that "Indiana Jones Trilogy" doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before. However, I skipped the last VHS release to await the inevitable DVD release, so perhaps it is from that. On the third hand, it doesn't look like any of the VHS art I can spot at IndianaJones.com!

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Those are all pretty sweet. All the evidence is definitely pointing to work being done on these movies for a release somewhat soon. As for the whole "Raiders of the Lost Ark" vs. "Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark" title debate, I have to say I really don't care *what* they call it on the package as long as the actual title card on the film just sports the original "Indiana Jones and..."-less title. I'm fairly certain they won't actually change the title card. The most recent VHS re-release of the trilogy featured the altered name on the packaging but left the original title card intact on the movie itself. If anything, (and I'm probably going to be flamed for this) I'd prefer the altered title on the packaging to maintain consistency on the DVD spines among the three movies and the "Young Indiana Jones" series. I think the altered title would make sense from a packaging standpoint, although I'd prefer the movie itself to remain unchanged.

5. Jeremy Conrad

If I remember correctly, the last VHS release did have a yellow background as in the Temple and Crusade images. It was either the widescreen of full screen releases, I can't remember which.

6. David Lambert

You may be right, I just don't know. Since this is the sort of thing everyone's been waiting for, I thought I'd share.

7. Declan

Declan Second Unit

think it was yellow for fullscreen and a red/pinkish type for w/s.

8. Jeremy Conrad

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I see that first image being used on some sort of booklet that comes with the DVD. I really like first one. It is really cool how they painted Spielberg and Lucas in there, too.

10. Jeremy Conrad

11. Declan

Declan Second Unit

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    interesting that they'd feature Lucas and Spielberg as well. has this happened on any other release to-date? for instance, I can't remember seeing Lucas's mug on any SW-related stuff, nor Spielberg's on any of his movies.

and note that their portraits portray them from the early-mid 1980s, the time the movies were made, and not today.

aren't the graphics for the movies from the movie posters as well? the Raiders, the 2nd Temple of Doom and Last Crusade graphics look very familiar to me. sadly, I don't own any of these on any home video format at all, so count me as one that's really looking forward to the DVDs.

13. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

14. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

It certainly looks like Struzan artwork. I'd say it's either the work of Struzan or someone trying very hard to make it look Struzan-esque. There's a signature in the Lucas & Spielberg painting but I can't quite make it out. I see what could be a "drew" but I can't be sure.

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I prefer when a cover is good, but I don't really care since I buy them for the movies. The title 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark' is nauseating, but I'll just never look at the cover. As long as it's unchanged in the movie itself, this is a definite purchase.

16. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I believe that the alternate artwork for 'Temple' appeared on an Indy video game. Not sure which.

17. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    The new one is definitely Struzan's work; the sig is absolutely "drew". Both versions of the Temple art were movie posters - I've got them hanging in the basement!

Seeing these has me really jazzed up for this release. Thanks, Dave!

18. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Is it not a forum policy to post links to large pictures to ease bandwidth and help out the poor souls who do not have a fast connection?

19. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I must say that I really don't care that they have changed the name of the movie on the box or on the screen, for that matter. The actual movie is still the same, is it not? The change is better for continuity, as well.

20. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

On the VHS rerelease in 1999, the box had the Indiana Jones subtitle, but in the actual movie, it retained the original "Raiders" titlecard. This will almost certainly be the same for the DVD.