What's new

Indy Jones available as Box-Set ONLY?!? (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Ok, what about the Jack Ryan set? It is available as a box set or for sale individually. This is a Paramount release.

A choice is all I'm asking here.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Peter, bad example

1- Jack Ryan does not have a unified creative team or heck, cast

2- the discs are already available seperately, but this is the first time Indy is out. No precedent

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Jeff,

Who cares about the creative team. They are all part of the same series. And I know that they were released separately first. The same can be done here. It is what the F***ing creators want in the first place.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Again Peter,
Jack Ryan is a bad analogy because they were already released separately. Therefore, the Box Set is not the initial attempt to get the most money possible, it is just the re-packaging of something already in existence.

The IJ box set is an initial release and attempt to make the most money on the initial release.

This is one time I am siding with the studio, if Lucas and Spielberg want something, it is usually to the detriment or expense of their fans.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It's really very simple they're releasing a box set because they rightly assume that 90% of all Indiana Jones fans will want to buy all three anyway, and besides that won't stop them re-releasing each title seperately in 2-disc special edition sets with snazzy new cover art over the next few years...

StevenW

Second Unit
Bring on the box set! I just hope they dont put it in crap packaging like they did for Godfather!!

James L White

Supporting Actor
a few points:

1. since these are my 3 favorite films, a box set is mine :D

2. only 1 disc for extras is very weak, I am sure there's enough material with what's being produced to put out 2 discs per films, I mean the Star Treks SE are 2 discs each

3 yes- the films should be sold both as a boxset and seperatly

4. the a/v had better bet the best possible or I'll be pissed

5. I for one am looking forward to Indy 4

6. these could come in a brown bag and I'd buy them
:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Heinz W

Second Unit
It's really very simple they're releasing a box set because they rightly assume
that 90% of all Indiana Jones fans will want to buy all three anyway, and besides
that won't stop them re-releasing each title seperately in 2-disc special edition
sets with snazzy new cover art over the next few years...
Right, then after Indy 4 we'll have a new improved complete box set. Hmm, Indy 4... Maybe this will be the only box set of Indy I need buy. :D ;)

Okay yes, most people want at least two if not all of the films in this particular case but still the option to buy separate should be there. It was there in 1999 when I bought the three films on VHS because there were no DVDs. It was bad enough I had to buy VHS, but at least I had that choice then, and I should now as well. That's all I'm saying.

For Godfather same thing. I could buy the VHS and presumably the laser individually or in a set, but not the DVDs! Set only! What's up with that?

No doubt I can choose between a p&s or an OAR IJ boxset though! :rolleyes

It IS good to finally get this on DVD though!! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Somehow I doubt that's your battle cry when (to use Mark's example) a studio finds it more profitable to release a title you want in P&S but not OAR.
When and where did I say that?

But if you want to argue the P&S fact...I can do that.

Since most P&S "only" DVD's are older movies, I would assume that the reason why a studio produces a P&S title is because they don't think it will sell well and they don't want to spend production costs on reviving the original footage...it's cheaper to use the existing full frame footage, thus keeping production costs down and making MORE money in DVD sales.

So yes, I believe that certain titles will be more profitable to the studios if released in P&S.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Hmm, Indy 4... Maybe this will be the only box set of Indy I need buy.
Heh, I hear ya buddy. There is no way this new Indiana Jones will be good. I was actually afraid that they wouldn't release this box set until Indy 4 was out, so I'd have to suffer like some are apparently going to suffer with Temple of Doom.

However, they way I see it. I hated Godfather 3, yet I had no problems with getting it as part of the box set, it is...after all... part of the Godfather trilogy!

Temple of Doom is part of the Indiana Jones Trilogy... or Anthology, meh.. whatever. Deal with it. Go ahead, boycott Paramount, that will show em. ;)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
The thing is Paul I love Raiders, in fact it is one of the greatest films ever made IMO. But, if I want this great film in the best possible format currently available, I am forced to buy another film that I find highly revolting. It just really pisses me off.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I am forced to buy another film that I find highly revolting
Peter, to an extent I agree with what you are saying. You are entitled to hate ToD as much as I loath the new star wars films, or their retarded Special Edition cousins. However, I've made the decision not to buy them, and live with my original edition laser discs (for the original trilogy only, not this new crap.)

Simple as that.

However, when it comes right down too it, Paramount and LucasFilm saw more sense in releasing the films as a box set then individually. Why? Cause generally most people love the trilogy as a whole, and plan to buy them as such.

Yet, all this boycotting, and whining, just wont change a thing. I think the majority of DVD consumers will agree that the box set choice is the best for them.

However, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Bottom line? A bad Indy film (is there really such a thing?) is still way better than half the crap that comes out now a days. Even "suffering" through Indy's sequels cant be as bad as you make it seem. :D Bring on the box!

Luis S

Brenton

Screenwriter
I'm amazed that some people feel so strongly about packaging that they would boycott a release of movies that they love. Personally, I would prefer individual releases (one reason is that it will look nicer once Indy IV comes out on DVD), but the release of a boxset will NOT deter me from buying and enjoying these great adventure films.

I'm pumped... bring it on!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'll be grudgingly buying the set, but then turning around immediately and putting TOD, TLC, and probably the extras disc up for sale.
since there will be low demand + more people with the same idea, i expect to have to let them go pretty cheap (probably under $10 each)- so, in essence, i'll be paying a premium to own Raiders.
oh well. it's an all time classic. $30 for a great movie is a better value than $8.75 for something that truly sucks.

there are actually things i genuinely like about TOD - the whole darker, gruesome vibe - cults, sacrifices, fiery pits, etc. is very much in keeping with a 30's pulp aesthetic.
and the opening musical number i thought was pretty witty and well done.
unfortunately this is offset with yet more pandering to the kiddie set (the whole 'liberating/saving the children', the short-round side-kick), and it has one of the all time most excruciating romantic interests w/ Kate Capeshaws character.
high pitched, whiny, shrieking...UGH!
there are characters & performances in films i don't like, but it's rare that 1 performance in a film can totally kill the whole enterprise for me. this is one of those times though.

Last Crusade is so often just simply foolish and silly, although it has some nice little moments here and there, and i actually adore the ending.
it was so fitting to see the character sip of immortality and then have all he characters ride off into the sunset one final time.

unfortunately, this is rendered moot by the appearance of a new sequel. i just can't get excited about seeing Ford anymore in anything, and i'll be surprised if the new film is anything more than an embarrassment.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Temple of Doom is my favourite of all 3. I can't imagine that many people would not want the entire trilogy. In my view, Temple of Doom bashers are just Like RoJedi Bashers. Annoying, whiny, losers. Oh, and BttF 2 is the best of the three also, and how anyone can not realize that those meovies especially are one big movie in 3 parts os beyond me also.

FYI,Sean Connery is only 12 years older than Harrison Ford, so, while some 12 year olds technically could father children, it is no less off a stretch now then it was back then..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks