What's new

Indy DVD's on 10/21, any deals 2 be found? (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I went to Eckerds at 8:00 am this morning, first customers in the store, and neither the cashier or the manager knew anything about it. I asked if the manager would call the next closest Eckerd which he did, only to tell me they didn't have any either!

So I went to Wal-Mart where it was $39.97 and price-matched no problem.

About 2 hours later (after watching Raiders :D ) my roomate came home and we both drove to WalMart so he could get one. The huge Indy display had 5 rows, 4 fullscreen and 1 widescreen. The Fullscreen section had maybe 1 or 2 sets missing, the lone widescreen row was almost empty. And they pricematched again, no problem!

Who would've thought the B&Ms would dominate the online stores for this one. 50% off retail, woo hoo!

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
I got to Best Buy (Hialeah, FL) at 10:20 a.m., I brought the Eckerds ad and I got the Indy set (with 5th disc) for $33.69 (with tax). The person who did the pricematch gave me NO problem. That's the reason why I went early. Good luck!!!

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
...I stopped by Best Buy (for the heck of it) to see if they would be willing to match the Eckerd advertised price and they gave me the old "we can't because of the exclusive bonus disc" excuse. I couldn't justify an extra $10-$12 more for a 10 minute feature.
Granted that BB can more or less ultimately decide how to enforce their own price-matching policies, but that is such hogwash of them to use the "bonus disc" explanation to avoid price-matching. If that's the case, then have BB explain how come the bonus-disc packaged Indy box sets are priced identical to those that aren't packaged with the bonus disc (my local BB had that huge square Indy display stand full of Indy box sets that didn't come packaged with the bonus disc).

Or...if you want to be sneaky (shrewd would probably be a better term), go to a BB that has both (bonus and no-bonus box sets) in stock, buy the no-bonus one, price-match, then turn around and go to customer service and say that you picked up the non-bonus set by mistake and would like to exchange it for the bonus one.;)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i drive around a lot in my job so i was able to check prices at the stores. first Walmart i went to, in Salem, it was $45, so i skipped it and waited until i passed the Woodburn store where i picked it up for $39.95.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from CC and they price matched 2 sets of Indy no problem. When she saw the Eckerd ad hit the countertop I didn't even have to ask. Now that's service.

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

I just came back from the Sunnyvale Fry's and they must have put more out there since lunchtime b/c they had two shopping carts full of 'em. Mostly WS it looks like too. $39.99 today only.

Enjoy!!

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Ok, here's my BB experience. Pretending I was naive (and not an HTF member); Eckard ad in hand, I picked up the widescreen edition and strode confidently to the checkout. A man in front of me was also buying the widescreen version for the full BB price of $44.95 (I can't save the world). When my turn came, I stepped up and told the clerk I'd like to price match this. She said you have to go to customer service and offered a weak "sorry" as if she knew I wouldn't get a customer friendly response over there.

As I was waiting my turn, the supervisor (who was sitting behind the CSR) noticed my and asked if I was in line to pricematch Indiana Jones to Eckard. I said yes and he responded that they weren't honoring it. He said as of noon, the 3 Eckard's he called were sold out. I said are there only 3 within our area. He said no, there are 5. I asked when he was calling the other 2 (my sarcastic mode was now turned on). He said he wasn't, they weren't honoring it. I asked if I came back on Thursday and Eckards had them in stock, would he then honor it, he said he would but not today.

I asked if he would rather lose the sale than honor the price match, he said yes. At that point, I had enough verbal sparring, left the DVD set on the counter and strolled out. The yellow shirted security guard wished me a nice day. I told him to bite me. I know it's not his fault, but someday Best Buy will wake up and learn what customer service means. Maybe they'll start weekly meetings to find out why they're aren't any customers in the store anymore and this guard will tell them how many pissed off ones he sees storm out of the store.

I drove over to Wal-Mart, their price was 10 cents below Eckards, marked right on the display. The clerk mentioned that they marked it down when the first customer of the day displayed the Eckard ad. So, at Walmart, EVERYONE gets the benefit of the price match, no hassle, no secrecy, no asshole managers, no calling competitors to see if it's in stock, no muss, no fuss. No wonder they're the top retailer.

I'm done with my local Best Buy.

Ok, ok...until next time anyway. :b

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I use Best Buy a lot, but never for price-matching. For that I always use Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart seems to be serious about price-matching, whereas for Best Buy it's like something they use to try to get customers but are unwilling to actually honor. They should do like Target and stop pretending they price match. Either do it with a smile, and no hassles, or don't do it at all.

I just went to the local Blockbuster and asked the clerk to price match the Eckerd's ad...she asked the manager and he said they don't price match. The clerk wanted to look at the ad anyway because she said "I didn't know Eckerd sells DVDs" and when she looked at it, she said "I think it's a lower price because ours is the special edition with the bonus disc and theirs is just the regular one"...

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
David, yep, that's the one I went to. When I was there, there were 2 WS left on the display. After I left, of course, only 1 remained. I don't know if they had more in the back or not.

MarkDavidson

Stunt Coordinator
I love all of the Best Buy horror stories. Always good for a chuckle. It's amazing - absofrickinlutelyamazing - that those yahoos stay in business.

For more laughs at their expense, check out www.bestbuysux.org.

Mark

I got the Eckerd's pricematch at Circuit City ($33.49 - includes another $1.50 off - 10% of difference in price) with no hassle.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
On the way home from work, the 1st Best Buy (Lewisville)I went to, told me they would not price match the Eckerds ad at the checkout line. I asked why? He said that the Eckerds version didn't have the 5th disc ( I knew that but played dumb)and that they didn't have the 4th bonus disc. I was like, "Paramount didn't make a 3 disc version, they are all at least 4 disc versions. He kept telling me that they have called all the Eckerds and that is what they told them. After some more arguing, I went ahead and bought it at $44 or whatever their price was, vowing to come back and return it when I found it cheaper. I figured if I had come earlier in the day, I may have gotten it there w/ no problem.

Closer to home, I stop at the BB in Irving to see if I could get a price match there. Went to the checkout, and I had no problem. The guy looked at it for a second, and then did it no problem. I even had $2 dollars more off because of the McDonalds fries coupons that I had. Final price was about $33.88(if i remember correctly) and I got the version with the 5th disc.

Walked out of that store, said no to somebody selling magazines in the parking lot waited a few minutes and returned the more expensive version at the same Irving store with no problem.

johnbud

Auditioning
I want to thank the members of the forum for letting me know about the Eckerd price. I stopped at the local Eckerd on my way home and picked up the flyer. They had no Indy dvds anywhere to be found so I proceeded to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart price was $46.72. I took the widescreen version to the register and asked for a price match. The woman rang it up at the $34.99 price and then proceeded to take another $3 off (who was I to argue). I ended up paying $33.91 w/ tax. If it wasn't for the wonderful people in this great forum I probably would have waited to buy this amazing trilogy and hoped the price came down in the future. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone trying to price match.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I suppose I'll throw my story into the ring with everyone else's :)
I went to my local BB after work yesterday, and picked up the last copy with the bonus disk. Cashier said they won't honor the Eckards ad because of the bonus disk. I said fine, let me go pick up one of the few dozen copies you have without the bonus disk. When I came back with it the manager came out and said they won't honor it because the Eckards is out. Although I highly doubt that they called all upteen Eckards in the area, I could tell she's been hearing it all day and wasn't going to budge. So I said fine, I'll just go to circuit city (which is just across the street) and I'm sure they pricematch it for me. Didn't phase her much, so I went and did exactly that.
The nice CS person at CC said I was the 4th of the day with the Eckards ad (which surprised me, I guess everyone else went to Walmart, which is also across the street), and pricematched it no problem. No bonus disk, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal, and I sure wasn't going to pay an extra $10+tax for it anyways.

BTW, does anyone remember BB's after-purchase pricematching policy? Does it say if you've found a lower advertized price, or advertized and in stock? Strikes me that we could buy it, walk out of the store, walk back in, and price match it that way.

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Hey I was wondering if anyone has actually gotten the Start Trek Deep Space Nine Season 5 for 19.99 at Media Play? Or are they claiming it was a misprint - which it probably was.

Thanks,

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks