Indy 500 or Indy F1 USGP meets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seth Paxton, May 9, 2001.

1. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well, the 500 is going to be soon so this may be too late, but since both of these races attract people from not only around the country, but from around the world, I was wondering if any of those people will be HTF people.
    If so then how about letting me know and perhaps we can put together a mini-meet. At this point I don't have anything cool lined up, but we could swing by Lasers Edge (super cool DVD store), perhaps look at some equipment at Ovation, maybe catch a cool film at either the Castleton Arts on the northside or the Keystone Arts on the south, and possibly even have a demo at my place.
    Indy people are welcome to respond to, but I figure if it's just Indy people that we could take our time and plan something nice rather than try to get things ready by Memorial Day.

2. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Hmmm, not an overflow of interest so far.
    Patrick, at some point it may just be you and me demoing each others setups. [​IMG]
    There are a few other Indy guys around, maybe I'll see if I can get them tracked down.
    I thought for certain that SOMEONE would be coming in for the USGP. After all it's a worldwide event.

4. Patrick Bennett

I guess you missed all of our posts then Seth. I had three other HTF guys (and their S.O.'s) over for a movie a few weeks ago. I'll try to do it again soon, or perhaps we can do something race week [if there's ever any interest.]
    Most people don't seem to read the Meets section (I posted a message about my meet w/ only the 3 guys responding), so it may be worthwhile to post an off-topic message in the Home Theater Hardware section...
    ------------------
    The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

No, Patrick, people don't read here much unfortunately.
    What I did to help fix that (I thought) was to tag over to this thread with my signiture file, with a photo even of last years USGP. Still no takers. [​IMG]
    If you don't mind, which HTF members did you already get over there. I'm interested in which guys you already got to meet.
    BTW, my setup is not as nice as yours, but I do have a Denon 3801 and a Sony 400 FPTV and plenty of room, so it would make a nice alternate place to yours just to mix it up and not put all the burden on you to host.
    We just don't have enough cool places to visit for meets besides our own theaters in Indy.

6. Patrick Bennett

7. Michael St. Clair

I could give it a shot for the Grand Prix but not for the 500.
    I'm in Cincinnati, so I could also make it over another time. Summers are kind of tough though; weddings and other family things take up many weekends.
    I bet an Indy meet for a more winterish season (but not blizzard season) would have better attendance.
    Then again, I could be full of shit. [​IMG]
    ps I would not have noticed if not for your .sig; I don't think many people read this area.

8. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I am always interested in getting out of the house,esp. for ht stuff!
    I am ready to get back to patricks house anythime also.
    keep me informed...[email protected]
    ------------------
    "And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

9. Elliott_P

Elliott_P Agent

I'm probably coming in for the GP, and would definitely be interested. I'm not sure how much time I'll have, though. Should know more as the date nears.

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Michael, your welcome to come up on a winter meet. [​IMG]
    The main thing with the USGP is just that I'm assuming a few members will be traveling to Indy anyway and I figured we'd give em a HTF member welcome.
    Well, my family comes in town as well, but I bet we could put something together either for FRI night when people come in town or SAT night after quallies.
    Now if no one that is non-Indy area can do anything for the USGP then we should just offset it by a week or 2 to lighten the activity load.
    BTW, Chad, you were the only Indy member on my list that went to the last meet. Matt Stone is up at Purdue I know.
    I have as other Indy members:
    Troy Madlem
    Peter McM
    Mike-L
    Derek Bang
    add to that
    me
    Patrick
    Chad
    Hank
    Nathan
    plus maybe Michael or a few other neighbor types like Matt and we should be able to get 5-6 for every meet.
    Did you guys just do a beer drinking, demo/film viewing, BS session? We could always swing by Lasers Edge and I guess Ovation. There are some specialty houses that maybe you guys are familiar with. I'm not sure if any of those companies have demo rooms for equipment or not.

11. Chad Isaacs

beer...hell yes
    hot nacho dip...hell yes
    bs...hell yes
    demo hd..hell yes
    demo several dvds..hell yes
    beer..hell yes
    then we watched space cowboys and went home.i guess we were there for about 4-4.5 hours.
    ------------------

12. Patrick Bennett

13. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Seth, I only just saw the link to this thread. I will be in Indy for the USGP, (next years too, and the year after that no doubt [​IMG] )
    We'll be in town Friday, Saturday & Sunday, but plan on being at the track all day each day! [​IMG] (don't want to miss a second of seeing (and hearing) F1 cars on track, and the other stuff is kinda cool too)
    ------------------
    -- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

14. Michael St. Clair

Don't get me wrong; I'll try to make a meet no matter what the season.
    Beer, snacks, flicks, BS-ing all good to me. A tour or outing sounds good too.

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

OK, a 2nd thing then is that even though my family will be in town, I could still hook up with someone even out at the track.
    Last year we sat on the viewing mounds by the Mickey Mouse turns for quallies.
    I took that FRI off last year, but we went to the zoo instead. My dad really wanted to do that. This year it's hard to tell. One of those nights will be a family dinner I would guess, but the other night I could probably work something in.
    Maybe either a FRI or SAT night HTF meet/party? Say from around 8-12. That's a full movie and some BSing, and it gives everyone time to get home from the track. I can't put it in stone, but it's a start.
    But no matter what, anyone going to the race should hook up, at least on SAT out there. That would be pretty cool.
    And as for the Indy guys, maybe something here in about a month. If everyone wants to go to Patrick's again since it's familiar, I would understand. Or if Patrick wants to not be the guy cleaning up... [​IMG] I'm down in Lockerbie and you can drop right off of either 65 or 70 from either direction almost at our place.
    Let's start rustling this sucker up. [​IMG]

16. Chad Isaacs

Where is lockerbie?i cant seem to place it in my mind.
    you have a lcd though...righ?i would like to see one in action.
    ------------------

17. GregH

GregH Agent

Well, I work for Escient Solutions so we could always swing by our showroom and I could show you guys Powerplay and Tunebase if you haven't seen them before. I could look into having people check out some pretty wild theaters if you'd like.

18. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Seth, I'd certainly be up for at least hooking up at the track. Last year we sat in Turn 13 for Qualification, don't know where we'll be this year.
    The most amazing thing about that last year was the Assembled Faithful opposite the Ferrari pits and the HUGE cheer that went up when Schumacher came out of the garage to the wave to the crowd after getting pole! [​IMG] I would like to see more of the track this year though, so we'll probably be somewhere else.
    ------------------
    -- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

19. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Chad, people who don't know it usually can't quite place it downtown. I used to be the same way yet now I don't know how I didn't know.
    Basically Lockerbie is between Michigan and NY (1-ways E/W) and East St. and College (1-ways N/S).
    East St. is the street where the Market St. I-65 ramp starts if you come from under MSA (well, not under anymore [​IMG]). Basically Lockerbie sits just east of MSA and the Murat, and New York is 2 blocks north of Market which goes under MSA. Murat is ON Michigan. College is the first light that people hit if they exit northbound 65 at the Market St. exit.
    Do you know where the O'Malia's is downtown (just north of MSA)? Lockerbie basically starts just east of there. It's also where James Whitcomb Riley's house is.
    Hey, Escient, that would be cool. Thanks Greg. As far as I know Thomson has no cool demo areas to show off, although we do have cool stuff around that I couldn't get you in to see. [​IMG] Maybe there is a demo place in the other building that I don't know about.
    Charles, well my link picture to this thread is a shot from the M&M turns after the back straight. The cars are really slow at that point, but they bunch up, you can actually see them (and take pictures), and you get to hear the car rapidly downshifting and then upshifting again.
    But for the race, turn 1 (normally 4) is the place to be since that's where all the passes are made.

20. GregH

GregH Agent

Our design center over by Keystone at the Crossing has a nice theater and media room with a DLP, CRT and plasma so there's plenty to check out.
    We actually have some various connections with Thomson, so I've heard about some pretty cool new products.