Indy 4 Development Hell

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Dolan, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

From the new issue of Premiere:
    "They may be visionaries, but Steven Spielberg and George Lucas can be just a tad shortshighted. How else to explain their decision to dub their third Indiana jones film 'The Last Crusade'? The finality of this final chapter, released in 1989, has been in doubt since as far back as 1993, when it was first reported that Lucas, Spielberg, and Harrison Ford were eyeing a fourth installment. Each of the pricipals has reiterated his interest in the years since then. Still, if the project is, in fact, a true possibility, it's proving to be as elusive as the Ark of the Covenant itself."
    The article goes on to talk about how both Lucas and Spielberg are booked for the next few years, and how Ford's age would affect the story. Paramount will only say that they are "looking at scripts". At one point, they talk about how M.Night Shymalan (?) was approached (just imagine:"I see dead Nazis!")
    [​IMG] It sounds as though it will remain a trilogy. I would rather that then some half-assed, presumptious piece of hooey, replete with lines like "I'm too old for this shi-(something explodes)."
    -Christian

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

The cool thing is that Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford all have to approve a script. Which is good because someone tried getting a script approved that involved the use of UFOs and Extra Terrestrials!

3. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Adrian - Exactly. I'm sick of people thinking it means it's the last movie.

I'd love to see a 4th one, but I wouldn't be sad if they don't make one. I want the trilogy on DVD. That's all I ask.

5. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Honestly, the title "The Last Crusade" could have two meanings if you think about it.

I for one would be very happy to just let sleeping dogs lie. It was a great trilogy that has stood the test of time and has not been butchered over the years by consistent re-editing by Lucas or Spielberg...yet!

The fact that the "Jones boys" both drank from the cup of christ in The Last Crusade and then rode off into the sunset was the perfect way to end a perfect trilogy, IMHO.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I read over at Cinescape.com that Paramounts 20.5 year rights to Indy rights are almost up, and that Indy 4 may now be put out by DREAMWORKS

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

...which means one thing. OSCAR bid.
    Only to be beat out by Miramax's Terminator 3.
    [​IMG]

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

20.5 years of rights? Seems an odd number.

So what does happen after that? Are we basically looking at new versions of the movies to come out from a totally different studio?

This also suggests that Paramount may not have anything to say at all about possible DVD releases I suppose (if they ever did before).

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    They could reuse Harrison Ford but I think they would definitely have to also have a younger actor perhaps play the part of his son (or something). Ford cannot carry the movie this time around at his age, not that he is old or anything, butit just wouldn't work.

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This is another series I wish they'd leave alone. What are they gonna call the next one, anyway? Indiana Jones and the Search for Social Security?

11. Jamie E

Jamie E Stunt Coordinator

I still think a new Indy movie could work, with some modifications made for Ford's age. I'm picturing a movie set in the "red scare" 1950's, with the retired Indy recruited to recover an artifact from behind the Iron Curtain. The stunt sequences would have to be toned down and replaced with more dramatic tension moments. I'd pay to see that.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They did it to Bruce Lee, so why don't they make a CGI Indy film?

I'm kidding.

13. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

14. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I said it before and I'll say it again. Brad Pitt would make a great Indy if they re-cast.

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Why recast? Sure Ford's old, but he's aged well... He still looks like he's in pretty good shape. And that's all movie magic requires. I agree with that Red Scare period idea. That'd be great.