Industry views on copy protection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherK, Jul 17, 2002.

1. ChristopherK

ChristopherK Auditioning

I'm posting this to the software forum because it was brought up at the DVD at 5 conference, and published in Video Store magazine. I thought some of you might find it interesting.
    Copy Protection Tough To Standardize
    A couple of quotes from the article (I'd also recommend reading them in context):
    "Fair Use is not a consumer right, he said, but a legal defense against copyright infringement allegations." - referring to comments by Alan Bell, Sr.VP, WB Technical Operations
    "Risking consumers’ ire over incompatible hardware may be a necessary consequence of protecting studio content, Bell said." - also referring to comments from Alan Bell
    ChristopherK
    Edit: Link fixed; thanks, Dave.

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Indeed. I frown on pirating as much as the next guy, but if the only way to make a disc to work reliably on my player is to crack it, then don't be surprised if I either refuse to buy it or get a cracked version. DiVX had better copy protection than normal DVD, but that didn't stop consumers from killing it through lack of sales.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

For those of you trying to get to the article, try this link.
    It's a BS piece that trys to sell the idea that copy protection is nothing to worry about. I am all against pirates and bootlegging, 100%...but the copy protection schemes they are cooking up these days interfere with quality and compatibility.
    This article basically tries to justify that this is okay, even though honest consumers are getting screwed in the process. [​IMG]

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If anyone from Macrovision is reading this, they're invited to come to my house for a demonstration of how their "Quality Protection" scheme on DVD players messes up the picture on my TV!

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only quality Macrovision protects from is quality equipment