Industry Grade DVD Player, for NON-HOME Theater

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kyle Tippett, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys.
    My boss just asked me find, and buy a dvd player that is comperable to out new Panasonic LCD projector. Its a PT-L6510U... 4200 lumens, XGA, fixed overhead instalation. If we can try and keep the cost down around $500, theyd be happy... so no meridian or anything... i was thinking maybe an elite? im not too familiar with the industry stuff.. then theres the issue of cable... which cant really run over $100+/- for about 3-4 meter... plus for that size of a screen, should i be looking at BNCs or components? the screen must be about 16' wide, and it does scope.. i'm not sure if that measurement is with the masking on though.

ive got a week or two till i need to really know the answer, but if you guys know anything, please post it, so it doesnt get bumped too fast. thanks a lot.

Kyle Tippett
    Cinema Arts Centre
    www.cinemaartscentre.org

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

There is no way you can get any pro-stuff for less than US$500, but you can try checking out the Pioneer pro DVD player. No DVD-A/SACD, but it's built like a rock.

3. Kyle Tippett

is that the major difference beetween consumer/industry, build/weight? if so.. we can probably get by without one... it simply sits in one spot, and doesnt need to be screwed into a rack... i saw the pioneer at b&h for under $700, but i'm not sure if they'll spring for it.... god knows i would... our has 4 screens, but the 3 major ones are all mono sound, which i cant believe.

4. David Susilo

The major difference is that they use tighter tolerances for the parts and they are designed to virtually run 24/7 in continuous loop. They can be programmed using barcode system etc etc etc. ( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com and go to Professional Products )

If you just need something for regular run ( about 4 hours a day with ocassional stops here and there) and you can live without the programmable feature, then you might as well buy the regular-line DVD player and buy a second one as backup unit in case the first one fails.

5. Kyle Tippett

we have projectionists on all the time, the films (35mm) arn't on timers either, so that function isnt too necesary... springing for two wont fly, i can tell you that... but in that $500 range.. would you say go for a pioneer then? NAD? Denon? i just need to know if one brand would be better at that size... i would assume anything Elite... but if thats too much?

6. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

If you want to minimize the chance of failure I think you should consider buying 2 $250 players rather than 1 $500 player. Say the odds break down like this:

$250 player - 5% chance of failure

$500 player - 1% chance of failure

Both $250 players have to fail for you to be out of commission - the odds of this are .05 x .05 or 0.25%, which is substantially less than the odds of the $500 player failing.

Now of course I pulled these numbers out of the air but I really don't think a $500 player is going to be THAT much more reliable than a $250 single disk player. These days a $250 single disk player is actually somewhat high-end, at least in the consumer market.

Mark

7. David Susilo

I never used NAD but as far as motor's and laser-head longevity, from my personal experience, Denon is the best. Considering your budget, I'm sorry I can't give you too many options.

8. David Susilo

This is somewhat apples vs oranges, but a couple of Pioneer pro LD player I bought for a company in the early '90s are still playing until this very date (running 10 hours a day, nonstop). The remote have been changed a couple of times, but the unit itself is still working in perfect condition. (there was a downtime once, but that's because the inner label of an LD peeled off and stuck to the disc clamper).

I tried a Pioneer consumer level DVD player to run 8 hours a day nonstop failed every 6 months.

just my 2 cents.

9. Kyle Tippett

its only going to run at 3 hour intervals, maybe MAX 4 , usualy once or twice, times a day... about 7 times a year. still go with 2? i highly doubt that will fly.

10. David Susilo

in that case, just get a Panasonic player and buy it with an extended warranty. That's all.