What's new

Indor UHF Antenna for 40 miles??? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Just got the Directv Tivo HD receiver and now need an antenna to catch OTA broadcasts. I live in the San Jose CA area and antennaweb says I'm 40 miles from most towers. Says I need a red or green color UHF antenna to get most channels I want. Now the RS Bowtie and Zenith SS doesnt say the color code or range capability so I wasnt sure if they would work. What do you guys think I need?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I'd go by antennaweb. I have a 10 ft. long Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna in my attic and I'm about 60 miles from Baltimore and I can get it. Since I had to orient the antenna between Baltimore and DC to get it, I put another separate Channel Master 4-Bay Bow-Tie to get one station in DC better which is about 20 or so miles away. They make an 8-Bay one too. Their products can be found at channelmaster.com and they say:

UHF Antennas

FREE Outdoor Balun Kit included with all Models. The kit allows the antenna to be connected directly to a 75 ohm coax cable. It includes the balun, weather boot and S clip.

SPECIFICATIONS

Model
8-Bay
3021/4221
4-Bay
3023/4248
Diamond Yagi
3022/4308
Magnadyne

Type
UHF

Reception Range UHF (miles)

Antenna Length
5"
4"
80.5"
43"

Antenna Width
39.5"
20"
33.3"
20"

Antenna Height
36"
10.7"

Turning Radius
20"
10"
55"

# of Elements

UPS Shippable
Yes

I think I got my 4-Bay antenna from warrenelectronics.com

wally

Second Unit
According to antennaweb, I’m 22.9 miles from the furthest digital station and have a DB4 Quad Bowtie from antennasdirect.com. Hope to get it up in the attic this week-end.

I do have it plugged in and tilted against the wall in my basement and still get signals ranging from 75-90%. I have to do some very minor tilting to get a station every once in a while, but am confident that hoisting it up another 20’ should give me awesome reception.

FREE high-definition television dropping out of the air. Is this a great country or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks