Indor UHF Antenna for 40 miles???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jeff lam, Sep 29, 2005.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Just got the Directv Tivo HD receiver and now need an antenna to catch OTA broadcasts. I live in the San Jose CA area and antennaweb says I'm 40 miles from most towers. Says I need a red or green color UHF antenna to get most channels I want. Now the RS Bowtie and Zenith SS doesnt say the color code or range capability so I wasnt sure if they would work. What do you guys think I need?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I'd go by antennaweb. I have a 10 ft. long Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna in my attic and I'm about 60 miles from Baltimore and I can get it. Since I had to orient the antenna between Baltimore and DC to get it, I put another separate Channel Master 4-Bay Bow-Tie to get one station in DC better which is about 20 or so miles away. They make an 8-Bay one too. Their products can be found at channelmaster.com and they say:

UHF Antennas

FREE Outdoor Balun Kit included with all Models. The kit allows the antenna to be connected directly to a 75 ohm coax cable. It includes the balun, weather boot and S clip.

SPECIFICATIONS

Model
    8-Bay
    3021/4221
    4-Bay
    3023/4248
    Diamond Yagi
    3022/4308
    Magnadyne

Type
    UHF

Reception Range UHF (miles)

Antenna Length
    5"
    4"
    80.5"
    43"

Antenna Width
    39.5"
    20"
    33.3"
    20"

Antenna Height
    36"
    10.7"

Turning Radius
    20"
    10"
    55"

# of Elements

UPS Shippable
    Yes

I think I got my 4-Bay antenna from warrenelectronics.com

3. wally

wally Second Unit

According to antennaweb, I’m 22.9 miles from the furthest digital station and have a DB4 Quad Bowtie from antennasdirect.com. Hope to get it up in the attic this week-end.

I do have it plugged in and tilted against the wall in my basement and still get signals ranging from 75-90%. I have to do some very minor tilting to get a station every once in a while, but am confident that hoisting it up another 20’ should give me awesome reception.

FREE high-definition television dropping out of the air. Is this a great country or what?