Indoor Antenna Options?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I just got a new TV for my bedroom - an RCA F27450 - but now I need a new antenna. I don't have a satellite hooked up to it, nor cable, just the locals. On the old 15" TV I had I just used the dipole antenna that came with it, and it worked okay, but not real good. We have a roof mounted antenna that gives us good reception in the living room, and tried years ago to split the cable coming in to go to 2 TVs, but the reception on the 2nd one wasn't good still.

So, I need to get a new antenna for my TV. I tried, and currently have hooked up, one of those UHF/VHF antennas with the selector knob, but it works like crap, worse than the dipole antenna did on my old TV. What other options do I have? Dipole is out (no place to mount it). I'm guessing Radio Shack would have what I need, but I don't know what I need. Is there a way to get the roof-mounted signal equally strong to 2 or more TVs? Any other indoor antennas I could try? For what it's worth, I live about 45 miles from the local stations. Thanks for any help.

Tim

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The type of indoor antenna that seems to work best for my locale is the bowtie style. Most of my local stations are in the UHF band but it picks up the VHF pretty well too. I have also tried making my own dipole using these instructions:

http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html

The bowtie is essentially the same thing, but more compact, though not as specifically tuned for a particular channel. The difference between the homemade and the store bought wasn't significant enough for me to switch and the storebought was a little more easy to place and mount. I put together a mounting stand which is essentially a platform with a telescoping antenna to which I can clip the bowtie and rotate as needed. I can send a pic if you would like.